Quick 'n dirty tutorial on replacing Hitachi connectors

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Quick 'n dirty tutorial on replacing Hitachi connectors

Post by kbart1 »

hello

i have a question re the crimp tool(s) required for the hitachi connections. i now have my new connectors which i purchased from electricalconnections.com and they are an exact match. my question is as follows. they sell a "crimper, hitachi style" and a "crimper, klien type" i have several style crimpers including the klien and burndy styles. does the "hitachi style" work or crimp in a different manner? is it worth purchasing one to do this 1 plug (6 pins)? i am considering doing it with my standard crimps but as the pulse generator lead is already pretty close to being short once you cut off the old pins i don't want to screw it up. if the actual hitachi tool makes a difference i may need to buy one. any thoughts.

thanks a lot!
kent

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Kent, I use a Klein, it just takes 'shaping' the crimp metal into an oval shape by partially crimping it a bit before going for the final crimp. Sacrifice one spade on a scrap of wire and you'll get the hang of it after doing one.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

6 Pack
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by 6 Pack »

Nice info....but I am working on a female connector......not the same....easyer to remove the spade because you have better view on the male connectors...trying now to depress the tang that hold the connector in place.. without hurting the plastic YIKES!!!!

6 Pack

Post by 6 Pack »

Nice info , but I am working on a female connector. The male connector that is shown is a little easier to get to the tangs to release them . Working on my alternator 5 wire connector to install the rubber gromment . That is a female plug

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You have to depress the tab from the 'back' side - works the same way and just as easy. However, if your connector is even slightly melted (many alternator connectors are), you will have to take a Dremmel with a cut-off wheel and carefully cut away the areas melted and the connectors can then be extracted.

Dave

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”