Seat Recovering

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Seat Recovering

Post by ajs350 »

Here's a picture of my 79 with an aftermarket seat cover that I'd like to replace. Has anyone bought a new cover and installed it themselves? Is it easy to do or best left to a professional upholsterer?
Are the covers offered on ebay any good or is there another source? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-198 ... 2eb838eb03
Thanks
Ross

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Seat Recovering

Post by daves79x »

Ross:
Every stock seat you have seen in the photos of the '80 restorations I did are recovered seats. I have done 3 or 4 of them and you can do it too, I'm sure. I've gotten covers from eBay and they've been good - just don't know off-hand which ones. TIMS may sell covers also and I'd probably trust them for a good match. If you want to do it yourself, call me and I'll give you the scoop.

Dave

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

I have the old seat cover off but underneath the foam has a thick yellow layer with a thin greenish layer on top. Is this normal or should I be removing the green layer before recovering?
Thanks
Ross

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Ross,

I'm no help but pleasepleaseplease photograph this as you go for inclusion here and possibly also in the CBXPress. This could be a really useful write-up for other folks with what you learn along the way.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Ross:
I'm thinking the green was added - does it seem to peel away as a separate layer? All the ones I've seen are just the yellow color. Keep us posted.

Dave

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

I removed the green layer and this is the seat afterwards. You can see some of the green foam stuck to the oem foam so I used rough sand paper to smooth it down.
To recover the seat you will need a staple gun. On the advice of Dave I purchased an Arrow JT 21CM from Ace Hardware. You will also need the 1/4 inch or 6mm staples.
To begin stretch the cover over the front and back of the seat. I bought my cover from TIMS.
Put a few staples in the front and then turn the seat over to see if you have the cover centered. If not pry the staples off and try again. It took me 3 attempts to get this right. Put the effort in here otherwise your cover will be off center and look rubbish.
Now work from the front of the seat and pull the cover evenly each side and staple every 2 inches. You have to pull quite hard. Use a hair dryer to heat the cover to make it more pliable. Again, flip the seat and see if the cover is centered. If not pry out the staples and do it again.
Keep working towards the back of the seat stapling every 2 inches. I found I had to remove staples on several occasions to center the cover or to tighten it.
Once it is all on and a tight, fill in the gaps between the staples and this is what it will look like.
Refit the rear cowl and here's your new seat.

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Phil »

Looks pretty darn good. :thumupp: I`m going to have a go at an H2 seat one of these days, hope it turns out as nice.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Ross, that was an awesome content contribution. Thanks a ton.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

And, one awesome job, Ross!! Any thoughts about a second career?!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Looks 1,000 times better than before. Kinda like new!

Very nice.

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

Larry Zimmer wrote:And, one awesome job, Ross!! Any thoughts about a second career?!
My success here was due to the detailed directions Dave gave me. I would have never tackled a job like this but he gave me the confidence to do so and it came out pretty good :D
As for a second career that will have to wait. I start a new job in 2 weeks so fettling in the garage will take a back burner for a while. :(

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Best of wishes for the new job, Ross. Hope to see you next year.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

George R. Garrison #0857
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by George R. Garrison #0857 »

Sweet Seat for sure. :text-goodpost:
I'm into motorcycles, wooden boats, airplanes, wood working and car restoration.

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

As you may have noticed my seat was minus the trim as I only had 3 pieces. Dave found an old piece he had so with his guidance here's how I put the trim on.
Prior to putting the seat cover on I had marked with green pen the location of the trim fastener holes.
Next find the hole with a sharp tool and push through a little.
Then heat a nail and push all the way through. This way you melt the vinal instead of tearing it.
Next you will need 10 #6 32 X 3/4 Machine screws and nuts along with some #6 locking washers. I bought mine from Home Depot, $3 for the lot; Deal!
The back of the seat trim has a slot with a small cut out just big enough to allow the head of the machine screw to enter this slot. For the rear smaller piece position 2 screws and for the larger front piece position 3 screws. Push the screws through the holes made by the hot nail and then add one locking washer and nut to each. While everything is still loose position the trim so it is even on each side. Now tighten the nuts. You need the locking washer as without it the nut will just turn the screw and will never tighten. This is what the inside of the seat will look like.
Using a Dremel cut off wheel remove the excess thread.
And here's the finished seat. Of course all I need now is a strap and fasteners.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Very nice work, Ross.
I will be using your pictorial over the winter.

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”