The Travesty's resurrection begins

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

The Travesty's resurrection begins

Post by CopperCollar »

Well at last I am begining to reassemble " The Travesty". I am still accumulating bits as I go along and finding other bits that need replacing. Some here have helped out and some I managed to find on ebay but the bidding wars keep me out of the winners circle for many parts I need. I will get them eventually though.

So I finally bailed the frame and assorted parts form the powder coater and began assembly of the running frame, I hope to have it complete in the next few weeks then I can focus on the engine which I recently discovered a second bent rod, och!

A before:

An After:

A photo of the tank and tail piece on the frame:

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: The Travesty's resurrection begins

Post by cbx6ss »

Beautiful progress

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

What a differeence between the before and after. It will look great when its all done. Keep the updates coming.
Ross

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Awesome Mike, great progress and thanks for posting the pics. Please also post what parts or resources you need when you get there. Perhaps we can help as you go.

N .
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Finally have the Travesty up on the lift and was able to get the front end assembled. I torqued the steering stem nut down, loosened it then set the drag for 9lbs using a spring scale. I think this should be good as I use this method on my other bikes with cone bearings.

Front wheel buffed out and setting in front of the bike awaiting a tire.

The Travesty is not intended to be a concourse bike so I polished the lower fork yoke.

How she arrived at my house:
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Mike, I don't know if I missed this or you never mentioned it, but obviously your are not new to the CBX. So, I am not sure, whether it is approbiate to point out that now you have the chance to make some neat upgrades to the bike, e.g.; lower bars, footpeg plates, rear tail support to prevent the plastic from cracking, and other minor things. As you already put the effort into polishing the lower fork bridge, you may want to stay with 35mm forks, however, I would at least try to get a set of '80 air assist units.

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

EMS
What is the rear cowl support you mention. I'd like to protect mine.
Thanks
Ross

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

ajs350 wrote:EMS
What is the rear cowl support you mention. I'd like to protect mine.
Thanks
Ross
Ross: It is the chrome bracket/support that came on the 1980 CBX and subsequently was released by Honda as a replacement for the '79. It has two rubber bumpers instead of one and will prevent the tail from cracking. It also has the provision to hold the compartment under the lid in the 1980 tailpiece, but with a 79 tail, you will not use this.

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

OK. Understand. I'll have to keep my eye open for one of those.
Ross

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Mike,

Some SEM satin trim paint will make those turnsignals look like new. Works great on the handlebar switchpods too when you get there.

N.
Nils Menten

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Already thought of upgrading the front end but the budget is tight on this so I am keeping the stock front end. I still have an engine to assemble the cost there has risen to more than I anticipated as I found a second bent rod, the cost of machining crank and cylinders, replacing a shift fork and #3 gear cog, hell! I haven't gotten to the alternator or clutch yet. Fuel tank has a hole in it where the wrong screw was used on the Honda Emblem, Tail Piece is warpped and cracked. The list goes on and on but I am comitted to this bike....It truly should have gone to the wreckers.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Ross:
Just trim down the single rubber bumper by about 1/2 and that will relieve the stress on the middle of the tail. And mount your tail to the seat so that it's not really tight when you push down on it to engage the latches on the grab rail. There is some adjustment there.

Dave

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

daves79x wrote:Ross:
Just trim down the single rubber bumper by about 1/2 and that will relieve the stress on the middle of the tail. And mount your tail to the seat so that it's not really tight when you push down on it to engage the latches on the grab rail. There is some adjustment there.

Dave
Dave
Shaved off the 1/2 in inch you suggested and the seat is now snug rather than stressed tight.
Thanks
Ross

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Finally finished up the rear wheel and have front and rear at the shop getting new shoes. I chose the Pirelli Sport Demons. Should have them mounted on the running frame Tues.

Mike

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Beautiful, it is looking great. Thank you for sharing the photos and the journey Mike.

N.
Nils Menten

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”