Kent restores an '81

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Re: Kent restores an '81

Post by Rick Pope »

If those rusty valves were from the same motor as the ugly oil, I'd say that engine sat outside with open intakes/exhausts.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

thanks guys

no this is not the "rusty head" motor. this is a motor that i bought off a club member. i couldn't tell you where it sat, my bad! i was told it was a good running motor when i bought it. i did pull the pan, looked under valve cover, visually the internals looked good. i put new oil and filter in it (the oil that came out didn't look to bad) and fired it up. i have been running it in the garage intermittently for the last few months, no high revs or anything like that. i looked this morning and can't really see any separation in the oil mixture and it doesn't really smell like gas. i was mistaken in my previous post on the oil level, it looks to be right around where it should be so i don't THINK it is gas draining into the case somehow. one other issue is that it sounds like one of my shims just all of the sudden got fairly noisy! i have pulled the pan again, checked and cleaned the screen and will add new oil and filter and run it until its fairly warm. then i think i may drain THAT oil and have a look at it???? perhaps i have flushed and junk through with this polluted oil and the new oil will take :handgestures-fingerscrossed: my big worry is that i haven't damaged this engine :sad-roulette:

fyi that rusty head went onto the ORIGINAL motor i pulled out of this thing with the bad cam situation (several posts back). i put new seals on it and lapped the valves. then my machine shop installed valves keepers etc. and tested it, they say it was good to go. i know have a spare motor for parts, lets hope i don't need it!

thanks a lot!
kent

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

If you did not run the engine to full warm-up (impossible just starting it up without running it down the road 20 miles or so), an extreme amount of condensation will form. It is amazing how much, especially if the bike is sitting in a cold environment, or where the temp fluctuates a lot. That can make a lot of moisture. I'd change the oil, circulate it with the starter until pressure is built, then if you can't run it out on the road to warm it well, just let it sit that way until you can. Then drop that oil after 100 miles or so and see what you find. Continue that routine until you see clean oil. Starting a bike intermittently in the winter is bad news. Just properly store them.

Dave

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

Kent,

I sold you that motor and it was a good motor. I think Dave hit the nail on the head. I had a 900 motor one time and it did the same thing while I was screwing with it in the garage for some time in the winter. I started it and let it idle a little and shut it off. And then I worked on something else on it and started it and let it idle a little while and shut it off. I had a massive amout of condisation in the oil also come spring. I thought I got screwed also. Come spring I changed the oil very frequently until finally the oil looked fine. About 3 oil changes 50-100 miles apart on changes. If that motor had water in it when you bought it the valves would of looked like that other motor you have. That motor did not sit outside in the year I owned it and the oil I drained out of it was good clean oil right before I shipped it. That is a good motor. Sorry for the concerns you are having.

terry

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

thanks guys
i have a suspicion condensation is what it is. the motor looks and runs good. i think it is a result of circumstances other than the motor itself. i have left the pan off and have gas in the carbs just to see if anything drips through but if it was gas in the bore than you should have a vapor lock situation???? i will replace oil and filter and not run until able to. thanks for all the help.

happy new year!
kent

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Good show, both of you.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

NilsMenten wrote:Good show, both of you.

N.
A good show indeed!

AND a great piece of documented evidence for all of us, now and then 'warming up' our treasured possessions in the garage in the winter, thinking we are doing good ...

Happy New Year ICOA!!!

Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Saw this condensation issue a lot way back when I was a mechanic. My dad always said " if your going to start it up you better ride it else you will get a rusty engine"

He was right and I pulled a lot of rusty motors apart. Gotta get the engine and oil up to operating temperature and boil off hte condesation.

There can be a tremendous amount of condensation, especially in a humid environment.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

hey guys

panels are in for paint now. my painter is going to paint and pinstripe the "decals" then shoot clear on top of it. i am going naked on this bike. here's my question, does anybody know where i can by "some" of the decals for the 81 pro-link? in particular i am looking for the decals that go just below the gas cap on the black top part of the tank, i think there are 2 of them. the other is the "honda" decal that goes on the tail piece. also, the side plate (not cover) decals (both sides). finally, my tank was acid striped due to rust, anybody have a good photo of an 81 tank with decals etc. on it they could e-mail me so i can give it to my painter? i forgot to detail it in photos before i had it striped. i have Ian's book and mag articles but i want to make sure he knows where stripes start and stop etc. and exactly how they're laid out on the tank. if you can help PM me and I'll give you my e-mail address. :text-thankyouyellow:

thanks a lot!
Kent

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I don't know if Bill at TIMS will split a set of decals or not - he'd be your best bet to ask. Are you restoring the paint to a stock '81 scheme? And your painter is going to hand-stripe the large tank stripes? I'd try to get the complete decal set (less fairing). It'd be a lot less work, although those large decal stripes can be a bugger to get the air out of.

Dave

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Kent, i would contact http://www.reproductiondecals.com/defau ... .html~main about your decals.
Their Honda list is hidden but i think they do sell individual pieces.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

Yes.... Reproduction Decals have great quality products.

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

thanks guys

yes i am going back to a stock paint scheme. my painter would sooner paint what decals he can and clear over them because he is not happy with clearing over decals. he is THE guy up here for M/C paint so i trust him. i will share pics of his work when done for anybody up in the northern states or canada who may need a painter. he has done piece work for me in the past and done a good job, he can not however duplicate some of the KEY decals in paint so thats why i am looking for single decals. i will try the sources you recommended and see what happens. tried my local honda shop in the off chance but decals are discontinued. stay tuned, i have a stumper for all of you. once i get photo i will post pics.

thanks!
kent

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

OOPS!

i ripped apart my clutch perch to clean and paint it. when i went to re-assemble i was left holding this piece. i usually ALWAYS take photos before breaking something down but forgot to this time. i can't figure out just HOW or WHERE this piece mounts. i am sure it's from the clutch perch. anybody shed any light on this piece and where it belongs?????

thanks a lot!
kent

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

Isn't that the choke cable cover plate that attaches to the bottom of your clutch perch. One screw holds it on.

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”