Kent restores an '81

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Kent restores an '81

Post by cbx6ss »

Rick Pope wrote:To install the new spring, put one end in a vise and flex the spring to open gaps between the coils. Insert washers, pennies, or whatever you like in the gaps. Now flew the spring the other way and do the same. Use as many washers/pennies as it takes to make the spring the right length to install, then start yanking out the spacers.

Where's the "LIKE" button??

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

ya i know pics are good. as soon as i can get the X out of the garage i will snap a couple of the bags etc. got my insurance today and all of the sudden a cold snap rolled in! as far as the lemay museum went i FORGOT my camera, big mistake! so pics. to follow.

thx
kent

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

hey guys

I have found another '81 that my buddy want to pick up and do a resto on. pretty much the same condition mines was. parked in 2001 carbs gummed up and cant start it right now. owner seems cool and assures us it ran when parked, the usual story. the bigger issue is that on the registration it is listed as a "rebuilt" bike which means our insurance agency wrote it off as a wreck at some point. lots of guys rebuild these bikes but they always have the stigma of "rebuilt" on the regi. how bad do you think that would hurt the resale value once he has restored it and ever wants to sell it. our local shop did lots of work on it years ago and ensure us that the bike was inspected and the frame is straight etc. but its still a crap shoot. be interested in your thoughts before he pulls the trigger. the bike appears to be all there but needs a full resto.

thx a lot!
kent

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Buy a titled Frame from Louis, done.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

I am with Nils on this one. It is very hard to sell a bike with a salvaged title. You take a big hit when you sell it. Only way I would buy it was to put everything on a different clean titled frame and when you are ready to sell you will get more of your money out of it. Only way to buy a salvaged bike is CHEAP.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Kent, you are supposed to start these projects in October.
In Ontario we can't get a legit ownership for a salvage title so a clean frame with paperwork makes sense to me as well.

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

well its a rainy family day holiday in Vancouver. for fun I thought i'd post a couple pics of the latest project in the garage. I bought a basket case 1970 Honda CB759KO (manuf. 1/70) some months back. I was done as a slight chopper build back in the day. some elbow grease and a fair bit of cash has got it to where it sits today. lots to be done still, chrome etc. but as I bought it not running I wanted to get it to a point where I could get on the highway and sort it out, make sure everything functions as it should??? before I started the teardown I did get it running and idled through all the gears and they all seemed to work so I am hopeful. some before and after pics below:

thx!
kent
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

That is quite a transformation! 8) Hard to believe it is the same bike. :dance:

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Wow. You've been busy. Very nice work.

Is the exhaust in the "before" pictures a Hooker Header? Pipes and collector look right, but the megaphone looks longer than mine. Maybe an RC?

The old paint job actually looks pretty nice. Did you repaint, or swap body pieces?
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Very Nice !! everybody digs the 750 Honda...I did a 1970 K1 Resto couple years ago for a friend..think we paid around $ 2.500.00 for the stock exhaust alone, the owner has about $ 8000 in it ..he still rides it, we get together and ride the heck out of them in the back roads of New England every summer....Looks like you took the 16" rear off also, had that same tire on my 1971 K2 with lowering blocks

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Very nice, Kent.
The VF looks decent too. Is it a rider?

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

thanks guys

not sure on the exhaust, was pretty rusted internally. new bodywork from yamiya750 in japan. old tank was pretty rusted out on the lower seems, unrepairable so I had to cut into it to get the petcock off as I wanted to re-use it. got rid of the small rear wheel and went with Honda spokes and DID rim with new rubber front and back. hopefully riding it in the next month or so to shake it down than more of the jewellery will go on. yes the VFR is a rider, that was my project last year. the wife is getting annoyed! anyways as this is a cbx forum I will move off this topic. just thought i'd drop a line with what I've been doing through-out the winter.

thx
kent

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

kbart1 wrote:thanks guys

! anyways as this is a cbx forum I will move off this topic. just thought i'd drop a line with what I've been doing through-out the winter.

thx
kent
Kent: I think this is absolutely no problem. I probably speak for a lot of others if I say that we like to see what other bikes members are involved in. We had a segment called "CBX Stablemates" in the CBXPress for a couple of issues.
Showed some cool bikes that members kept and had a passion for. And who doesn't like a great looking CB750Four????

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I echo Mike (EMS) in stating we have no issues with having other bikes here. I'd bet there are a lot of CB-750 owners among us, me included.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

hey guys

I am looking at replacing my clutch friction disks on my '81 CBX. I am pretty sure these are NLA from Honda. I see a ton of the EBC kits on e-bay, anybody tried these? any other suggestions on which plates I should source? while I am in there is there anything else I should be replacing as some preventative maint as well?

thx
kent

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”