Kent restores an '81

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Kent restores an '81

Post by kbart1 »

thanks steve. i was thinking about the same sort of thing as that. i am a little concerned about the blinkers being so close to the headlight that you wouldn't seem them functioning because of glare??? good shot of your front brake lines as well, i ran mine behind the fork tubes and they can interfere with tank on full steering lock. may need to re-think that. i am playing with the idea of mirrors with integral LED signal lights but am having a hard time finding some that i like :handgestures-fingerscrossed: what did you do for your rear blinkers? i MAY run stockers back there at worst but would prefer smaller LED units. i wonder if i could re-work a set of tims relocation kits to accept LED's. will check with bill on that issue. looks like we both had the same idea on directions for our 81's, although i HAVE been getting lots of ideas from YOUR bike.

thanks!
kent

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

You might consider Spiegler as a source of bar end weights with the lights built in. Both front and real turn signals are incorporated into the units. Wiring might be difficult with your handlebars though.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Kent i had the same concerns about the headlight over-whelming the turn signals for the on-coming traffic but the combination of LED signals and hand signals i have not noticed it being a problem.
in this pic you can see the matching LED signals on the rear. They work fine and are bright but i don't care for the look. They should be beefier to match the bike.

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

hey guys

i'm back at it, actually never stopped just haven't had much chance to post anything. well, the BIG DAY happened last week-end. i actually got out on this thing for the first time ever, actually first time ever on a cbx! what a blast although i never really got it above 50mph on my little street. i have no insurance or headlight for that matter but i wanted to get it to a point where i could go around the neighborhood to make sure i had at least some sort of a reasonable roller. i am happy with the machine so far, seems to shift nice, brakes work awesome etc. but i have a couple questions/ideas i would like to run by you pros. these are my thoughts or questions in no particular order. on first couple passes the engine seemed to smoke a little but seemed to get better and better. valve train is not i would say "noisy" but you can tell it's there, i think this is a common situation for a bike with 24 shim in buckets and 4 cams etc. keeping in mind i have logged 7 whole miles to date. my thoughts are that i will run it down to my local shop where the owner is an ex honda racer and loves cbx's. i would like them to adjust my pilot screws, sync the carbs and adjust the timing chains (i can do the chains but reaching that rear nut is a pain in the butt). i think i should log a hundred miles or two and THEN go into the valve train and check/adjust shims. make sense? as far as the carbs go they seem to be working spot on so far, again need to log some miles to really find out but on first ride they seem to work great. my rear shock low pressure light has a tendency to go on and off at times however when i check the pressure it is fine so i guess that is what we call an "idiot light". anybody have any idea on what could cause this or how to resolve it? electrical is all in or on the bike, restored my signal lights with the SEM trim paint, LOVE THAT STUFF and all new lenses, look awesome. had my front forks rebuilt at dealer and they're holding air (at 10lbs right now). i was going to go naked on this but after some thought and fooling around with the suzi headlight decided against it. my painter now has my fairing and related parts and he is going to paint those now as well. here is 2 fairing related questions. i have the fairing support on the bike now so i could make sure everything fit up o.k. after powder coating. has anyone tried or is it even possible to mount the skins to the support structure while it's mounted on the bike? obviously you probably should assemble it all off the bike but then you have to manouver this whole part onto the frame now WITHOUT scratching anything, just a thought. also, regarding the part of the support structure that thru-bolts at the head tube. the manual is a little un-clear to me. either the wiring harness or the throttle/choke and clutch cables go "inside" the "U" portion of this piece, sort of between the head tube and the fairing frame. can anyone confirm which it is? right now i have all the cables inside and the harness outside but i THINK maybe it should be the other way around, cables on the outside harness on the inside, your thoughts? well congatulations if you managed to stay with this post this long, i won't ramble anymore. i hope i have phrased my thoughts/questions in an understandable matter that you can offer any feedback. here is just one shot of the fresh paint. i know you all love pics and i will post some more when they are worthy.

thanks a lot!
kent

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Wow. The bike looks friggin fantastic Kent, and congratulations. Awesome milestone, and accomplishment.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

kbart1 wrote:hey guys

. here is 2 fairing related questions. i have the fairing support on the bike now so i could make sure everything fit up o.k. after powder coating. has anyone tried or is it even possible to mount the skins to the support structure while it's mounted on the bike? obviously you probably should assemble it all off the bike but then you have to manouver this whole part onto the frame now WITHOUT scratching anything, just a thought. also, regarding the part of the support structure that thru-bolts at the head tube. the manual is a little un-clear to me. either the wiring harness or the throttle/choke and clutch cables go "inside" the "U" portion of this piece, sort of between the head tube and the fairing frame. can anyone confirm which it is? right now i have all the cables inside and the harness outside but i THINK maybe it should be the other way around, cables on the outside harness on the inside, your thoughts? thanks a lot!
kent
Oh man, it seems like an eternity since I had the fairing off of my '81. But I faintly remember taking the fairing off WITH the bracket and remounting it also with the bracket mounted to the fairing. Some of the bolts inside the fairing may not be accessible when mounted to the bike. I will check if I can see how the wiring harness is routed in relation to the main bracket bar.

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Regarding routing of the harness / choke / throttle cables, my 82 manual shows the harness inside the yoke, with the choke and throttle cables outside.

Like this:

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

thanks guys

you confirmed my thoughts on the faring issue. oh well, get a few buddy's to avoid scratching things up.

thanks!
kent

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

hello all

looking to get "collector" plates up here for my X as it is way cheaper for insurance. need a few little odds and end to button things up so before i get on fleabay i thought i would post here and see if anybody has any of these for sale. not in any particular order but here they are:

right side mirror. going to paint with SEM trim paint so faded o.k. but no cracks rips or rash.

all the hardware less the brackets that mount on the motor for the fairing lowers. it looks like several rubber spacers bolts nuts etc.

the air filter setting clip.

the fairing stays have a little rubber plug in the end nearest the valve cover. i need 1 of them.

the brake pedal black plug.

i know most cbx parts are like gold now but i thought i'd check here first.

thanks a lot!
kent

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Tim's has that brake pedal plug and Louis no doubt has a lot of the other stuff if you come up dry here...

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Try Honda for the hardware. Pretty sure they still have the stuff to mount the lower. NLA on most the rest of it. You can buy a pretty good replica of the rubber brake pedal plug at the auto parts store. Keep your eye out on eBay for the filter spring - sometimes they go as high as $30-$35, but you do need it. I've picked up several cheaper, but you have to watch. Can't spare one right now - a lot of bikes I get are missing them too! Good luck.

Dave

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

thanks guys

i do already have the list to louis and i know i can get the plug through bill at tims. and as always, good ole e-bay!!!!!

bobber01
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber01 »

May be able to get some of what you're looking for here?

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z363605582

As for the valve noise you mentioned here:

'valve train is not i would say "noisy" but you can tell it's there, i think this is a common situation for a bike with 24 shim in buckets and 4 cams etc.'

... may want to check to confirm the valve buckets are in their correct bores. I didn't realize that there are 'A' and 'B' buckets until it was pointed out to me.

cbx4evr
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cbx4evr »

I've got an 81 OEM seat and tail if you are looking.
"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

hello guys

got my re-painted fairing and related parts back from the painter. going to mount up but have a question, so far. regarding the fairing lowers, where they bolt to the bracket that hangs on the motor. the manual and other info i can gather shows all the parts but not really how they mount. for example does the rubber "grommet" go on the fairing lower or does it go on the bracket on the motor? what i need is a detailed description of how all the collars and grommets are used etc. or an up close photo of an installed unit? any body able to help? i will post some more pics of bike and fairing once i can roll it out of the garage and not get soaked, rains a lot in vancouver!

thanks
kent

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”