Kent restores an '81

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Kent restores an '81

Post by daves79x »

Kent: I'd get TIMS friction plates and 3 HD springs. Bill suggested using 3 HD springs and 3 standard springs. Works well, with still a light pull. The clutch adjusts as with stock friction plates with no drag. I assume you got my PM?

Dave

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

thanks Dave

and yes, I got your PM, thanks a lot for that. I will grab the plates from bill at tims. so now the next question. if three HD springs are good then why not do all HD springs? also, from memory isn't there a bearing in there as well. I would call it a throw out bearing from my automotive experience, should that be changed as well? lastly, can I get the clutch cover off without removing the prolink exhaust? that cross-over tube is a you know what to work with........

thx
kent

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

All HD springs will result in an increased clutch lever effort. And they are not necessary to make the clutch work with the stock output motor. If the bearing is O.K., no need to change it, loads are not that high. I take the clutch cover off without removing the exhaust. 8)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

As Mike said, the bearing will be fine - never saw one go bad. The point of 3 HD springs is to slightly increase the tension while slightly increasing the lever pull. 6HD springs are very tough to pull and a pain in everyday driving. Alternately get 6 new standard Honda ones.

Dave

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

thanks guys

have the stuff coming from tims. including running the 3 HD spring. looking at the clutch cover that bottom middle bolt looks like its going to be a pain with the exhaust in place. hoping I can get a small wrench in there somehow cause a socket wont fit.

thx
kent

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Kent: Just loosen the head clamps and take out the rear hanger bolts - the exhaust will drop plenty far enough to get the cover off. If you want to save the oil, put the bike on the sidestand and you won't lose any.

Dave

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

thanks dave

I like the trick of the bike on the side stand to not lose oil. I never thought of that, was planning on draining.

thx a lot!
kent

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

kbart1 wrote:thanks dave

I like the trick of the bike on the side stand to not lose oil. I never thought of that, was planning on draining.

thx a lot!
kent
Draining would not get the oil out of the clutch housing. Once you open it, you end up with a spill, unless you do as Dave said. 8)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Kent: Sent you a PM correcting something I told you before - again, sorry for the confusion on my part. Your bike will love it's new clutch parts, no matter!

Dave

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

thanks guys

heres a question that SOMEBODY may know the answer too. I have a clutch nut tool for my CB750KO but I don't think I have one specifically for my CBX. what are the chances its the same nut / tool? I would hate to order one for this clutch change and find out I already had one in the tool box.

thx
kent

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”