Vin Plate & Engine Information Plate

mults14
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Vin Plate & Engine Information Plate

Post by mults14 »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, my wife and I just bought a 79' CBX with the intent of doing a complete restoration. We have been working steadily disassembling the bike, meticulously cataloging each piece. We have the bike down to the bare frame and are just about ready to send it out to the powder coat shop to be blasted and painted.

There are two information plates left on the frame (VIN Info & Engine Idle Info...) which are riveted and I need to remove prior to sending to the shop. I don't think I will have a problem removing the plates, but I am not sure I can replicate the rivets all that easy.

Is there a technique to save the rivets? or will I have to go the route and drill out and replace the rivets with small screws?

Thanks Again!
CIMG5373.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Re: Vin Plate & Engine Information Plate

Post by Don »

Welcome to the forum - Glad you're here!

For the VIN one on the frame, once you remove the tripletree and the bearings you should be able to carefully press out the rivets from the inside with a large flat blade screwdriver or a socket rachet handle . . . . if you have a rectangular one. If they come out easily, you can probably reuse them. If you can get even one out in good shape, you'll have something to shop around with to find replacements

Don

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Yes Indeed - Welcome!

Sounds like you have a very interesting project going on. By the looks of the data plate in the picture, that CBX seems to already be in great shape!

I recently redid a 900F frame, and left those plates on. Sandblasted, primed, painted. I have no idea how tape or some other material would work while powdercoating.

Show us some pictures of your adventure. We can always learn something new from your efforts.

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

mults14 wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, my wife and I just bought a 79' CBX with the intent of doing a complete restoration. We have been working steadily disassembling the bike, meticulously cataloging each piece. We have the bike down to the bare frame and are just about ready to send it out to the powder coat shop to be blasted and painted.

There are two information plates left on the frame (VIN Info & Engine Idle Info...) which are riveted and I need to remove prior to sending to the shop. I don't think I will have a problem removing the plates, but I am not sure I can replicate the rivets all that easy.

Is there a technique to save the rivets? or will I have to go the route and drill out and replace the rivets with small screws?

Thanks Again!
CIMG5373.JPG
You need to remove them before powdercoating, and perhaps your powdercoater can help, as mine did. When you do you will find that they are not really rivets, more like single-use self-tapping tap-in screws, and they can be reused. Pry the plate up carefully and then the fasteners, or alternately drill them out and replace.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

mults14
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mults14 »

Hi! Well I took the advice of Don and was able to pop the fasteners off through the steering stem no problem for the vin plate. I saw what Nils mentioned about the single use self tapping screw. I started to pry on the info plate futher back on the frame but the fasteners weren't giving in and the plate started to bend.

The CBX we found has 5142 miles, however it seems to have been stored outside for a few years and there is some surface rust on the frame but minor. We were on the line whether we do a full resto or just get her running, but after battling it internally for a few weeks, I decided I just would not be happy with all those pin rust spots all over the frame. I'll start posting more photos later.

Thanks Again everybody!

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

For future reference, you can buy the drive screws at McMaster-Carr. In 18-8 S.S if you prefer.

Barry

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”