Removing fender scratch

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Removing fender scratch

Post by ajs350 »

I have a 1 inch scratch on my front fender which I'd like to remove. Has anyone done this before and if so what was the best method to get rid of it. Thanks Ross.

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Removing fender scratch

Post by ajs350 »

I sanded down the offending area with wet and dry today but it took me down below the black paint to a white/silver color so now I will have to repaint. Any recomendations on what kind of black paint to use? Thanks.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

ajs350 wrote:I sanded down the offending area with wet and dry today but it took me down below the black paint to a white/silver color so now I will have to repaint. Any recomendations on what kind of black paint to use? Thanks.
Ross, if you want to avoid a total repaint you might investigate one of those Colorite kits for scratch repair.

http://www.colorrite.com/department/col ... -10015.cfm

I saw some video or tutorial on those very recently and they appear to be designed for this very type of project.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

NilsMenten wrote:
ajs350 wrote:I sanded down the offending area with wet and dry today but it took me down below the black paint to a white/silver color so now I will have to repaint. Any recomendations on what kind of black paint to use? Thanks.
Ross, if you want to avoid a total repaint you might investigate one of those Colorite kits for scratch repair.

http://www.colorrite.com/department/col ... -10015.cfm

I saw some video or tutorial on those very recently and they appear to be designed for this very type of project.

N.
Nils
I'm afraid I'm into the full repaint as I've wet and dryed the whole fender now. It's very smooth and ready for paint but I'm not sure what to use and whether to prime it first? What did you use on your front fender?
Ross

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Good Old Black, gloss, with clearcoat.

Or in other words, I don't know, it was sent out for spraying.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Colorite has a great rattle-can system of Honda Gloss Black and Clearcoat. Their rattle can sprayers are really nice and you can do a good job on something like a fender with it.

Dave

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

I took a look at the Colorrite products but they were very expensive. $33 for a can of black and $14 for clear plus shipping. Knowing that I was going to have to paint below the recomended 50 degrees I did not want to spend that kind of money to have to do it again if it did not work. I saw posts on another forum recomending Krylon Fushio for Plastic. I bought the Black and Clear for $11. I gave 4 coats of black and 4 of clear. There was a slight dimpling of the finnish probably as I painted in 42 degree weather. Using 1000 and 2000 grit wet and dry it smoothed out real well and with some McGuires polish it came out like this. I'm sure the finish is not as good as the Colorite but it will do until the temperature warms up.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Nice job, ajs.
My fender is in the mail...just trying to help you use up the paint.

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”