Powdercoating Comstar Wheels

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Powdercoating Comstar Wheels

Post by Samelak »

Has anyone had their Comstar wheels powdercoated? I am worried the 400 degree plus heat may warp the wheels. I know the temp is not hot enough to change metal properties, but the metal used is not very thick. Also, what could I do about the silver edging. Powdercoating is difficult to tape off compared to paint. I'm thinking about coating the entire wheel and then masking off for silver paint. Any thoughts?

zxbob
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Powdercoating Comstar Wheels

Post by zxbob »

I just did my wheels here a short time ago. I bought a satin black from "Eastwood". I opted for paint
instead of powdercoat because if the wheels ever needed touch up (like due to a careless tire changer)
it could easily be done. While my bike is still being built, I can report on durability, but I do know if
they need to be touched up . . . . I can !

Bob
Good parts aint cheap ~ and cheap parts aint good !

SanDogDewey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SanDogDewey »

Samelak wrote:Has anyone had their Comstar wheels powdercoated? I am worried the 400 degree plus heat may warp the wheels. I know the temp is not hot enough to change metal properties, but the metal used is not very thick. Also, what could I do about the silver edging. Powdercoating is difficult to tape off compared to paint. I'm thinking about coating the entire wheel and then masking off for silver paint. Any thoughts?
I wouldn't expect the wheels will warp. I'm not sure how clean a line you can get from taping off the edge for powdercoat. Even when you plug threaded areas, you usually get a little powdercoat on the outside edge. It's not too hard to remove, but like I said before, I don't know how clean an edge you can achieve.

Bob, your wheels look great! Nice job.
ICOA #6266
1977 CB750K
1980 CBX

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

I powdercoated my boomerang front wheel satin black to match the new black anodized rear wheel I bought - It turned out just about indistinguishable from the anodized one

I didn't mask anything - I painted the rivets and the hardware silver on top of the powder to match the rear

Powdercoating doesn't get hot enough for long enough to harm most anything - It didn't hurt the bearing in my alternator cover, nor the bearings or rubber shock mounts on my swingarm . . . . I sure wouldn't worry about it warping anything made of metal

Don

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”