Engine paint match

ukking
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Engine paint match

Post by ukking »

Does anyone know a good paint match for the lower engine/cam cover/alternator gray on a'79 CBX? I have the PJ1 barrel paint whcih is OK for the cylinders but the other parts of the engine seem to be a different shade of gray. Also, I've been trying to cover some rear wheel scratches and the best I can come up with is Eastwoods Ti (Titanium) paint. Has any one found a good touch-up alternative to stripping the wheel completely and polishing or reanodizing? Thanks. Graham.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Welcome to the site Graham, a few of the guys here are expert on engine color & will reply soon....

As for wheels I think CBXMAN does a refurb.....
ICOA # 656

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Re: Engine paint match

Post by Chris »

ukking wrote:Does anyone know a good paint match for the lower engine/cam cover/alternator gray on a'79 CBX? I have the PJ1 barrel paint whcih is OK for the cylinders but the other parts of the engine seem to be a different shade of gray. Also, I've been trying to cover some rear wheel scratches and the best I can come up with is Eastwoods Ti (Titanium) paint. Has any one found a good touch-up alternative to stripping the wheel completely and polishing or reanodizing? Thanks. Graham.
Welcome to the site Graham.

I like DupliColor "Aluminum" for the engine. Its a perfect match to factory and you can buy it almost everywhere in the US.

I could never find a touch up method for the early model X's wheels. I ended up going the strip and refinish route.

ukking

Post by ukking »

Thanks for the quick replies.

I'll try the Duplicolor this weekend. I did think about the CBXMAN refurb wheels, it would depend on how original they look - the front wheel is perfect so I'm just trying to spruce up the rear wheel to match... Graham

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Dupli-Color #178 Silver is the EXACT match. You can use it on any engine part. It's not 'high heat' paint, but don't worry - it will match and work fine. Your local parts store will probably have to order it, but that's the one.

Hunt up Pete Rose's restoration article in the archives and you will see the results of that paint.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I have used Evinrude Engine Silver, which is a high heat paint, with excellent results. It matches the Honda engine paint perfectly.

ukking

Post by ukking »

Do you know which is the correct paint code for the Evinrude Engine Silver, there are three: 74SE1 ('74-'82), 87SE3 ('88-'90), and 83SE2 (2001)...?
Thanks..

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Got to check the can... :roll:

ukking

Post by ukking »

Got to check the can...

:thumupp: Thanks, that would help before I order it on line.... I've already got a line of 9 cans of silver paint and only space for one more... (trying to kick the habit.... :dance: )

BTW. For anyone interested, quite a good match for the original Silver wheels on the '79 CBX is Dupli color Silver Metallic (DSGM340). Its not perfect but if you feather the paint into the original finish and polish like mad, no one is going to notice a small touch up area. Its a lot better than an ugly tire iron scratch. Or you can paint the whole of one side and its virtually unnoticable. I found its almost impossible to tell which paint is the best match without trying them. Even though the caps on several cans look very similar when held against the wheel, most don't reflect like the original finish and the color looks much darker when applied. (Hence 9 cans of silver paint...)

tgraytn

Post by tgraytn »

I am new to the club. As a matter of fact, I just received my membership packet. I have a 1979 Honda CBX and am looking to paint the engine. I noticed that in one of the threads someone mentioned looking up Pete Rose's restoration article in the archives. How do I find that?

Thanks!

Tom

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Tom, I think MBB ( Mike Barone) can help you there....
ICOA # 656

sparkybr74mr

Post by sparkybr74mr »

Does anyone have any updated paint recommendations for the engine color. I have not been able to locate any Dupli-color silver 178 anywhere. I figured since this is an older article it is no longer made.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I would think if you contacted Duplicolour they could tell you the replacement code.
Maybe even the auto places like Advance or O'Reillys could find out for you.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I'll get you the code tomorrow if someone else doesn't

Dave

cbx1956
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by cbx1956 »

PPG Code 3796 or

DuPont Code C8501 or

General Motors code GM.WA8914 L/D Lighter Face Darker Flop

That should do it! :-)

Dave H

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”