Tank restoration questions

quincydubois
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Tank restoration questions

Post by quincydubois »

Three questions ...

Is an '80 tank the same as a '79 ... 'cept for the paint color?

Is a tank with rust (inside to outside) worth a restore?

Tim's or CBXMan or who for a factory look paint job?

Thanks, all you experts!

Mike

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

Welcome quincydubois,

80 and 79 tanks are the same except that the 80 uses a slightly larger screw to hold the tank badges on.

These tanks are getting harder and harder to find. Rust is repairable but can be labor intensive. If you have complete rust throughs (leaking) you may want to consider tracking down a better condition tank to start with. This is especially true if you are going to invest in a Tims/CBXMan paint job. I've used a POR15 tank sealant kit in the past and it worked well. Need to follow directions carefully and leave a little more time than is listed on the directions to fully cure the sealant. I didn't use the POR 15 on a leaking tank however.

I've heard nothing but positive feedback on both Tims and CBXMan's paint work.

Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Louis »

I have both of there complete body works on a couple of my bikes. Tims by far is the way to go. I got to know Tims painter and he is amazing when it comes to the body work as well as matching the colors perfect. If you would like to call me about it you can. 352-522-0030 EST or go to my web page www.usedcbxparts.com

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

If I'm not mistaken Tim's and Cbxman both use Colorite as their paint sources but application of the prep and paint products is the determining factor of the match and quality of the finished product.

jb

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

I have had good luck with the Por-15 tank sealing kit, but if you have anything larger than a pin hole its a good idea to use Por-15 Por Patch sealer on the outside in conjunction with the Por-15 liquid sealer inside.

jb

Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Louis »

Jeff, I do not know what cbx man uses but TIMS guy does not use color rite paint as far as I know. I have taken Honda NOS tanks out of the boxes and TIMS paint job color is dead even with the original when put side to side.The job itself is much better then stock also(honda). Louis

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Louis, actually thats a common problem if you can call it that, Honda's paint quaility was so bad in the 70's and early 80's that any competent paint shop will make the Hond's paint look like it was done by a hack in a side by side comparison.

I have a couple NOS 79 tanks still in the Honda box and when I put them next to my painters repaints its ridiculous how bad the NOS tanks look.

jb

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:Louis, actually thats a common problem if you can call it that, Honda's paint quaility was so bad in the 70's and early 80's that any competent paint shop will make the Hond's paint look like it was done by a hack in a side by side comparison.

I have a couple NOS 79 tanks still in the Honda box and when I put them next to my painters repaints its ridiculous how bad the NOS tanks look.

jb

I've seen NOS bodywork with paint flaws and stripes not in the proper position. I have an NOS tail with some minor clear coat issues and an Candy Glory NOS tank with a tiny flaw in the red coat. I guess that is now part of the charm of these old parts. I worked hard to get my restored tank "perfect". It was a beautiful match to my NOS stuff and had a thick, glassy, urethane clear coat that I prefer. I run all of my bikes but like to have them pretty too. I've been that way all of my life. :)

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

I replaced all my sun faded candy glories in 1986, tail, tank & later, the fender. I was told to inspect the finish before I took the items out of the dealer..... :shock:

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”