Candy Glory Red paint, 2024 (Mazda!)

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Candy Glory Red paint, 2024 (Mazda!)

Post by NobleHops »

Capturing some great Facebook dialog today:

I posed a question to the group, asking about the use of a Mazda red that I saw out in the wild to replicate the tricky Candy Glory Red that we all love on the 79 and 80 twin-shock CBX. Answers came flying out of everywhere, most helpfully by long time community member Steven Hudson and also another gent named Bill Warner. This comment by Bill pretty much summarizes the salient part of the discussion:
There are two Soul Red Crystal colors. Code 46V (the brighter and cleaner one) and 41V which is not as bright , alittle more subdued. There is also a difference if it is waterborne vs. solvent base. Waterborne is also cleaner. This paint is generally XXXpensive!
As with the original Honda formulation, this is still a three-stage process, involving a metallic base coat, then the semi-transparent red, then a clearcoat.

Steven also offered this:
It’s Mazda Soul red. That’s what I’ve been using for a while now. It’s a metallic base coat followed by a pre-mixed candy red mid coat, then finally clear coat. The number of candy mid coats is what determines the final color.
Steve also specifically referenced the 46V variant, and showed some beautiful examples of his use of it, so I would venture that the 46V variant is the one that is best suited to replicate Candy Glory Red.

So, for the sake of the search engines, paint code 1979 Honda CBX Candy Glory Red, step right up!

With thanks to Bill Warner and Steven Hudson for sharing their knowledge and experience.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Candy Glory Red paint, 2024 (Mazda!)

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Nils I’m not on Facebook but I’m curious if there was any mention of Ford’s 3 stage Ruby Red Metallic, paint code RR as being a choice to replicate CGR?

For Ford Ruby Red Metallic, Tri-Coat Ford Ruby Red Paint Color Code RR, Tri-Coat ; R&E Low VOC Urethane Basecoat Paint (Clear-Coat is required for gloss and durability); Tri-Coat colors comes with a Base color and a Mid pearlcoat, you supply the clear coat.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Candy Glory Red paint, 2024 (Mazda!)

Post by NobleHops »

No, that did not come up.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”