79 CBX tank emblems (honda)

426 Hemi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

79 CBX tank emblems (honda)

Post by 426 Hemi »

As some of you know i had a 79 sliver CBX new and it seems to me that the tank had HONDA emblem on the sides of the gas tank and if my memory is still in place the HONDA emblems were either put on with two sided tape or two little screws? One screw in the O and one in the D .. The 79 CBX i just got has nothing on the tank and i want to do this one to look just like my 79 i got new ..I don't see on any of the honda parts web sites with that emblem for sale , don't they repo them or are they for sale by honda dealers? One last thing on the stripes my 79 seemed to be under the clear coat ...Can the repo stripes be clear coated or just put over the clear? I also see that the CBX 24 valve sticker is made repo but if i remember mine had some small letters or words just below the CBX 24 valves? Can that sticker be got repo also?? thanks for any info ..Lee..
If it doesn't have a big motor i'll walk..

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Lee, Heres a pic of a nice stock 79, maybe it can help you get an idea of the tank emblem. I got the pic from the CBX Photos forum, its a good source for stock and mod bikes.

I see the emblems on Ebay from time to time, some of the ICOA members seem to get some and sell them and you could always check the CBX Vendors.

jb
Last edited by ICOA WebTeam on Tue May 18, 2010 9:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Fixed album-based images

426 Hemi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

found some NOS tank emblems on Ebay

Post by 426 Hemi »

Hi guys i just found some NOS CBX honda tank emblems on ebay .. I used buy it now for 95.00 .. I hope i didn't over pay .. Tims said that they had some used ones that where being restored , but the cost of replating and detailing i'm sure would be higher and still not NOS ...what you think? Lee..
Last edited by 426 Hemi on Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Gee Lee, $95 seems like a lot, but then I'm tight. Tell you what, when you get your emblems, e-mail me directly and I'll send you some stainless allen head screws to afix them to the tank, rather than those nasty philips heads. Only catch is that you have to join ICOA, which is a bargain anyway.

I'm at: rickeieio@aol.com
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

426 Hemi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 426 Hemi »

Rick Pope #3002 wrote:Gee Lee, $95 seems like a lot, but then I'm tight. Tell you what, when you get your emblems, e-mail me directly and I'll send you some stainless allen head screws to afix them to the tank, rather than those nasty philips heads. Only catch is that you have to join ICOA, which is a bargain anyway.

I'm at: rickeieio@aol.com
Thanks Rick will do..Lee :D

426 Hemi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 426 Hemi »

95.00 bucks did seem high but they are NOS and still in the honda box..If i had to by a NOS set of hemi carbs i'd be looking at 5 or 6 grand if you could find a set ... Used they are 1500 to 2500 .. So i'm on a learning curb here on CBX parts .. I would have made a post here before i got the emblems to see if they were worth the asking price ..But i felt i had no time....If it had been a hemi part on ebay with buy it now i would have lost the part to someone else .. Good part is that is the only part that was missing on the CBX ..I hope :lol: . :D Lee..

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

<<..If i had to by a NOS set of hemi carbs i'd be looking at 5 or 6 grand if you could find a set ... Used they are 1500 to 2500 .>>

Lee,

How badly do you want a magnesium cross ram to place those carbs atop? I know where one's sitting in a basement, been there for 20+ years.

Problem wiht the hemi is that even a good one is still a rattly bucket of bolts compared to a CBX. :-)
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

CRAZY DAVE
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

CBX vs Hemi

Post by CRAZY DAVE »

Rick, What do you mean about a ratty bucket of bolts ?? When was the last time you saw on X motor putting out 14or 15 hp/cube ?? It is my all time favorite motor. Course it had it's flaws when new like it would suck oil into the motor faster than it would drain back, loose clearances in the pistons,etc. Ever been to Edgewater Dragstrip when the Top Fuel boys came in ?? Of course, if you lined up a 64 Super Stock Dodge and a CBX together on the street and went at it-who would the cops go after ??
Don't think of it as a motorcycle-- Think of it as a very fun 2-wheeled engine stand powered by a Japanese Slant Six !!

CRAZY DAVE
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

CBX vs Hemi

Post by CRAZY DAVE »

Rick, What do you mean about a ratty bucket of bolts ?? When was the last time you saw on X motor putting out 14or 15 hp/cube ?? It is my all time favorite motor. Course it had it's flaws when new like it would suck oil into the motor faster than it would drain back, loose clearances in the pistons,etc. Ever been to Edgewater Dragstrip when the Top Fuel boys came in ?? Of course, if you lined up a 64 Super Stock Dodge and a CBX together on the street and went at it-who would the cops go after ??
Don't think of it as a motorcycle-- Think of it as a very fun 2-wheeled engine stand powered by a Japanese Slant Six !!

CRAZY DAVE
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

CBX vs Hemi

Post by CRAZY DAVE »

426 Hemi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 426 Hemi »

CBX Vs 68 hemi Barracuda SS/A Car .....Lets see a CBX runs 11.00 and a 68 hemi cudas are running 8.53 in NHRA ....hummmmmm .. Well lets try this a 68 hemi cuda is 250K, and a CBX 5k ....Not bad for a old rattle trap... :D ..

CRAZY DAVE
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

CBX vs Hemi

Post by CRAZY DAVE »

426 Hemi-- Lets do it the right way- How about a 68 Hurst Hemi Dart in it's original configuration. Just the usual slicks and a super tune. Lloyd McVey's Invader is the one that I know the best. He ran it for 3 or 4 months and then put it away. I think his best time was 10.78 or something like that. I got a ride in it in 1984 and it yanked the front wheels on the street with no warming of those little slicks or anything else. Of course the windows were either up or down,no radio,wipers,back seat,etc. That was back before NHRA let them modify the cars like they do now. It was just like it was when he picked it up at the factoryand it still is. Just slicks, paint and a super tune. And no warranty.

clayton
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 79 CBX tank emblems (honda)

Post by clayton »

I have NOS tank emblems for the 79-80 CBX's. $300 for the pair. Cheers.
Clayton

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

clayton wrote:I have NOS tank emblems for the 79-80 CBX's. $300 for the pair. Cheers.
Clayton
I just bought a pair from David Silver Spares for $150 a few months back. If I understand your situation correctly you bought out their remaining supply, correct? Profiteering on those parts may earn you a few dollars from the people here Clayton, but I doubt it will earn you many friends.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

"Restoration" doesn't really mean you have to replace worn out or missing parts with NOS parts. There are great ways to "renew" almost anything you have on the bike, except tires and batteries.
Serious restorers do exactly that. They weld, glue and de-rust, re-finish, re-paint and re-plate. Very satisfying, I think.

Louis charges $300.- for a set of emblems he offers on ebay also, which may have set the price level. I don't think that he is working with a tight margin on these.

Ever so often a NOS emblem comes up for sale for much less...

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”