Crankcase breather tube substitution - Subaru and repro parts

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Crankcase breather tube substitution - Subaru and repro parts

Post by NobleHops »

Consolidating all the info I collected here and on FB for handy reference:

My friend Kurt Muehlbacher was kind enough to share this info with me just now.

There is a Subaru hose that can be used for the vent from the crankcase to the airbox plenum. Honda part # 15763-422-000 These are getting scarce as NOS, and proportionately expensive.

Stock Honda part shown here for reference:
A094F3C1-DD35-4513-8E49-3847FFC7F54F.jpeg
The Subaru part # is 11815AB143

Available for a cool $25 from your FLSubaru dealer, MSRP.

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru__/Hos ... AB143.html

Our friend Terry Schmitt also identified a nice Suzuki part:
tevan wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:43 am
Here is a Suzuki number.. it is thin walled like the Honda one. Just cut a little off of it and it works great. # 13853 38300

The suburu one is thicker walled but will work as well.
A Facebook group member referred to the German CBX club reproducing this, but that did not include any info about how to obtain it.

And our friend Cary Knapton also has reproductions of this part, that optionally includes the slightly special clips that can be grasped from afar. Cary is a newish vendor in the CBX community, and has focused on reproducing quite a few NLA items for the CBX - his website is 100% worth a visit and a bookmark, he has some real gems for sale:

www.thesupersportshed.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Crankcase breather tube substitution - Subaru part

Post by CBX-tras »

FYI,
the Subaru hose is longer, with more bends that what we need. Just cut out the section desired and install.

These are an emission hose that is usually "In Stock" at your local dealer.

I wonder, who told Kurt?

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

Here is a Suzuki number.. it is thin walled like the Honda one. Just cut a little off of it and it works great. # 13853 38300

The suburu one is thicker walled but will work as well.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

CBX-tras wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:36 am
FYI,
the Subaru hose is longer, with more bends that what we need. Just cut out the section desired and install.

I wonder, who told Kurt?
I guess you want us to know that it was you. Who told you, J.r.?
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

NobleHops wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:43 am
CBX-tras wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:36 am
FYI,

I wonder, who told Kurt?
I guess you want us to know that it was you. Who told you, J.r.?
Yes, it was me. I saw it on one of the forums years ago, don't recall who but, I'm always thankful to the collective CBX community for bringing these types of things to the masses.

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Crankcase breather tube substitution - Subaru and repro parts

Post by herdygerdy »

+1 on Cary Knapton at www.thesupersportshed.com.
Just bought a bunch of parts for a deep service on a CBX, including the breather hose and clips.
Prompt delivery to AUS, very fair prices and a committed member of the CBX community.
Well worth our support.

Supersportshed
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Supersportshed »

Thank you for the various prompts and positive feedback Gentlemen we strive for the best service, price, and quality as a family of committed CBX fans.

At Nils request, I have put up a vendor post to provide some background to the Super Sport Shed and its foundations starting in 2016 with its roots going all the way back to 1978. Over the last eighteen months, we have worked long days and nights to bring an extensive portfolio of original, aftermarket, and NLA remanufactured parts to market. Please find our details here. This portfolio grows by the day so keep tuned and posted...

http://www.cbxclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 16#p103016

bobcat
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by bobcat »

Supersportshed wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:07 am
Thank you for the various prompts and positive feedback Gentlemen we strive for the best service, price, and quality as a family of committed CBX fans.

At Nils request, I have put up a vendor post to provide some background to the Super Sport Shed and its foundations starting in 2016 with its roots going all the way back to 1978. Over the last eighteen months, we have worked long days and nights to bring an extensive portfolio of original, aftermarket, and NLA remanufactured parts to market. Please find our details here. This portfolio grows by the day so keep tuned and posted...

:text-+1: and welcome ! What took you so long to show up here ?
The alternator fix is a brilliant idea that makes much more sense than even a repaired
stock metal on metal clutch. Well done !
Bob
82 CBX, 81 CBX, CB1100F, 79/82 CB900F (avatar)

Supersportshed

Post by Supersportshed »

Hi Bobcat,
It's a long story, however here goes as it is not FB :lol: For the past eighteen months, I have been building literally a dozen or so CBX & Cb1100R motors and dozens of sets of carbs for Customers, plus numerous CBX Z re-commissions. During my "spare time" past midnight I have been designing replacements for design issues and NLA parts for the CBX, all this whilst we created an online shop. It was an organic approach to market and we wanted to ensure an early adopter approach to our products to get feedback.

In April this year, I stopped taking on new customer work and wound the workshop business down as it was just not possible to do both, I still have an engine or two to complete but that can be done as and when. The focus now is the online shop and production of NLA parts and original OE parts in kits to ensure that these motorcycles will go on for decades to come. I am very close to creating a complete engine rebuild kit which will include a lot of gaskets we produce in-house to match the original graphite colour and a better fit than OE. Everything we produce has to be as good if not better than the OE part, if not it does not get sold in the shop.

I have spent 40+ years in design and engineering, in automotive, aerospace, and nuclear industries so this is a golden career to go back to hands-on rather than manufacturing rather than managing staff and shareholders which I did for many years. It is great using skills that I learned from my mentor as an apprentice at the age of 17 also when I craved a CBX :D I suppose its called living the dream which I am very fortunate but have worked hard to achieve - see the photos at the bottom of the gallery, felt 17 years old when these were taken all the best Cary.
https://thesupersportshed.com/gallery/

bobcat
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by bobcat »

bobcat wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:26 am
Supersportshed wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:07 am

:text-+1: and welcome ! What took you so long to show up here ?
The alternator fix is a brilliant idea that makes much more sense than even a repaired
stock metal on metal clutch. Well done !
Alternator fix :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjjJnrC ... authuser=0
Bob
82 CBX, 81 CBX, CB1100F, 79/82 CB900F (avatar)

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”