Melted Part -- Need Help Determining what it was...

ezridermn
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Melted Part -- Need Help Determining what it was...

Post by ezridermn »

I am having my 1982 Honda CBX Prolink frame powder coated. I thought I had it completely stripped down when I dropped it off. I just heard from the powder coater that when he heated the frame up there was a piece that melted. Sad to say I thought everything was metal when I dropped it off. So now I need to determine what the part was and how to go about replacing it.

Here are a couple of pictures that detail where the part was on the bike. It was likely made of some sort of plastic that surrounded the nut. I was on Partzilla trying to find it on the schematic but couldn't determine which part I am looking for.

If someone can help me figure it out I would really appreciate it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1982 Honda CBX

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Melted Part -- Need Help Determining what it was...

Post by daves79x »

You should have removed those swingarm adjusting nuts - you don't want them sandblasted or powder coated. The plastic was the surround for the opening of that adjuster on both sides. Couple of other points - remove the frame tags or they'll be ruined. You can get fluted rivets to reattach. Also, take the time to screw a bolt into every threaded hole in the frame, or somehow plug the really big ones (not with rubber). You'll save yourself a lot of time later cleaning out the threads. Also. install washers on bolts that need a good metal-to-metal contact because powder coating will result in a big build-up some places that you'll have to scrape clean. It is a LOT of work to prep a frame correctly for powder coating. Get it back and do it right and you'll be happy afterward.

Dave

ezridermn
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ezridermn »

Thanks for the timely response Dave. I truly do appreciate your insight and help. A guy like me couldn't complete a project like this without helpful expert advice.

I have had a few frames powder coated over the years by the same guy. Motorcycle parts are is his primary business so he is good at making sure the parts are properly prepped for powder coating. I had already removed the tags and everything else that I thought was not part of the frame. Needless to say I didn't get it right given the situation as it now exists.

Now I need to move on to getting replacement parts. Can you help me find the Honda part number for the plastic pieces that surround the swingarm adjuster? I am sure they will be hard to find but at least I will know what I am looking for.

Thanks,
Bob
1982 Honda CBX

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Bob:

The part number for the part is: 50355-469-000. It fits the '80-'82, but is NLA from Honda. Louis will have lots of them and shouldn't be very expensive.

Dave

ezridermn
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ezridermn »

Thanks for the info Dave. Now I can go about rectifying the problem I created!

Bob
1982 Honda CBX

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

At a glance the frame was not plugged when it was blasted - as Dave suggests, it's best if you do, but not a crisis if not either. However blast media can lodge in those threads and lock up a fastener so tightly it will break. In a case like this where they were not plugged, get yourself a set of thread restoration taps (better than cutting taps for this purpose) and run an oiled tap through those threads before reassembly, and you'll have no problems when it's time to reassemble.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”