My bike is done!

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

My bike is done!

Post by NobleHops »

This is a pretty happy day for me. Today I installed the chain at 104 links, restoring a fairly stock wheelbase, redid the torque on the steering head bearing with a spring scale to Mike Nixon spec to cure the slow-speed drunken sailor weave it had from being too tight, and my bike is officially a runner. I realize that in some ways it will always be a work in progress to me, as I'd like to replace the mirrors (and Bob Frantze from CBX Performance is working on that), and I'm still not certain I have everything routed just right behind the headlight bucket, but it is a fine ride. I'll pick the other stuff up when the spirits move me.

It's an 'incorrect' '80, fully cosmetically restored, with some selective upgrades in ignition, suspension, etc. The engine runs well and doesn't smoke, so I'll leave it be for now. The frame, stands, fork legs, valve cover, and most of the other metal bits were all powdercoated, most gloss black except for the valve cover, horn ring and steering stem. Wheels were also powdered, and the edges and rims polished. Brakes and MCs were all powdered and rebuilt, front MC also was re-sleeved. All the bearings are new, including wheels and steering head.

Forks were rebuilt by RaceTech, and better springs and GoldValves were installed, along with new seals and wipers. Rear shocks are Progressive, with uprated springs.

Swingarm is from an 83 CB1100F, along with related parts including pivot bolt, bearings, axle, adjusters, etc. I am running this with a 104 link 530 x-ring chain, within the standard range of adjustment on the 1100F swingarm.

Mother Honda had a new chain guard and "B" style seat.

Alternator was totally serviced with new bearings, seals, brushes and the 'clutch' plates were lapped and the spring appropriately shimmed.

Clutch basket was machined to quiet it down, and new fiber plates were installed.

It's got LED turn signals courtesy of Spencer and Don.

Many of the engine side covers were polished.

The engine itself was soda blasted, repainted, and baked.

It's got a new 4-brush starter from Tim's.

All black plastic was repainted, including turnsignals and rear fenders.

It's got a reproduction Delkevic 6>2 exhaust.

All chrome was redone.

It uses Interceptor bars from the period, aka "CBX power steering".

It's got a set of fresh Mike Nixon-rebuilt carbs that were off an 81 bike, autovalve was removed. It starts from stone cold in less than two seconds.

It's got Dyna ignition and coils, and a new Diehard AGM battery.

Tim's CBX restored the gauges.

...and more.

I got so much help from the CBX community I could never remember it all, but at one time or another my bike had Dave McMunn's spare gauges, Mike Simon's right side controls, the clutch work was done gratis by 'Rocketman' Tom Whalley, J.R. From CBXtras sent me a free set of bolts for my crash bars, 'Falldown' Phil sent me a very nice '80 owners' manual from his stash for free, Spencer made me some awesome LED turnsignals for the price of parts, Bill Brint sent me free clutch bolts after I made a hobby of snapping mine, and Louis Mintrone sent me at least as many small parts for free as bigger ones he charged me for.

So thanks, all. The nicest thing I can say about my mechanical skills is that I am persistent and only a little squeamish about diving onto the unknown, and there was a lot of that. It's been almost exactly a year since I tore into it in earnest and it came out great, and it would still be a pile of parts if it hadn't been for all of your help.

More pics of the finished state, and what came before:

http://noblehops.smugmug.com/Motorcycle ... 6988_HSE6R

Best,

Nils Menten

More pics:

Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: My bike is done!

Post by EMS »

I'll be darn :shock: She is a beauty, Nils! Nice going! And they say, all those computer geeks can do, is sit behind a keyboard :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Let me know, if this new mirror thing doesn't turn out. 8)

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Excellent job Nils!! That is one sweeeet looking X. Now comes the fun part - RIDING IT!!!! Touching redline in 1-2-3 is great, keeping the needle over 5 while doing the twisties even better.

Good job and congratulations!

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

dcmcmunn
ICOA Membership Director
ICOA Membership Director

Post by dcmcmunn »

Nils:
Sitting here in lovely Kayenta, AZ reading your post. Your bike looks fantastic. You now know as much or more about CBXs than most owners, and you did it yourself (albeit the hard way sometimes!). Now when do we get to see it in person? Maybe Brookville?

Dave

zxbob
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by zxbob »

Awesome job Nils . . . . . . . needless to say im shoot'n for the same with my 80 CBX.

Your album and all the help on this board have me getting close to finish as well. Your upgrades
make it a better bike IMHO - if Honda had known 30 years ago, they my have done some the same
upgrades back then !

BTW: you need a drain tube on your airbox . . . . . :mrgreen:

Bob
Good parts aint cheap ~ and cheap parts aint good !

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

Congratulations, Nils. You have done a wonderful job with your CBX. It is just beautiful! :clap:
SCH Rochester, MN

Joner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Joner »

WOW.

Now that is what I call a restoration, well done Nils. 8)
I have enjoyed reading your exploits, and it has certainly been worth it seeing the end result.

Cheers
Chris J.
Grey-haired bikers don't get that way from pure luck.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Thank you guys, very much :D :D :D

N.
Nils Menten

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Stunning Nils...Congratulations. :cheers:
ICOA # 656

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Be proud of that bike and all your hard work Nils. She is a beauty.
I like the height of the Interceptor bars, how is the angle working out for you?

C2CDan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by C2CDan »

Nils,
AWESOME!!
Dan

SanDogDewey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SanDogDewey »

Nils,

I think your bike is one of the most recently completed. And well done, in my opinion. Now that you've had a chance to put a few miles on it, would you have done anything different? If all goes well, mine should bear a pretty close resemblence.
ICOA #6266
1977 CB750K
1980 CBX

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

SanDogDewey wrote:Nils,

I think your bike is one of the most recently completed. And well done, in my opinion. Now that you've had a chance to put a few miles on it, would you have done anything different? If all goes well, mine should bear a pretty close resemblence.
Hey Dewey!

I have followed your project closely, as it does resemble mine quite a lot. Holy crap did your engine come out looking better than new. Great job!

Your question, hmmm. The only thing I really wish for is better brakes. In hindsight I wish I had seriously considered a very nice offer for a pair of 1100F wheels and 39 MM front end, including 2-pot brakes. By that time my fork was totally redone, with gold valves and springs, powdercoat, seals and I had a fork brace in hand, and the wheels were totally rebuilt and powdercoated, as were the brake calipers. The benefits are mostly obvious, stouter fork, better brakes, lighter wheels and a better selection of tires. I like the way the wheels look too.

But all in all my bike still looks pretty darn correct to the untrained eye with the Comstar wheels, and it rides and handles really well. My sole complaint is those brakes, and it's likely they could be improved with a honing of the rotors and more bedding-in.

So there you have it. ZXBob on this site is also doing a black '80 that is looking freaking cherry, and he managed to source some killer-looking brakes. My envy runneth over. Perhaps I'll re-investigate the matter over the (New England) winter.

N.
Nils Menten

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Be proud of that bike and all your hard work Nils. She is a beauty.
I like the height of the Interceptor bars, how is the angle working out for you?
Steve,

I realize now I never answered your question! I like these bars fine. The 'reach' and angle are just about perfect for me, but I'm very long of body and arm. All in all I like the riding position, and I find that the X is a bike that likes a little upper body movement to turn it well, and so the forward lean puts me in a really good position to do that. Two thumbs up!

N.
Nils Menten

CCrider
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CCrider »

Nils,
Very nice work on your bike. It's a beauty. You should feel proud.
Rich

Return to “RESTORATIONS: Tips, How To's & What Not to Do. Parts, Decals, Painters, Paint Codes, Painting Tips.....More”