Castrol Actevo & K&N Oil Filter

Quickster2
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Castrol Actevo & K&N Oil Filter

Post by Quickster2 »

Using 20W50 Actevo and K & N oil filter in new to me 1980 CBX. I am assuming the Actevo is good, anybody have any opinions on the K & N oil filter? I use K & N oil filters (and have for a while) in both Honda ATV's, our Truck, Jeep, and Dodge Caliber. Thanks!

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Castrol Actevo & K&N Oil Filter

Post by daves79x »

The oil is your choice, but I only use Honda filters in the CBX. They are not that expensive.

Dave

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Any oil with JASO-MA on the can is good . . . . pretty sure your Castrol has that - I agree with Dave on the filters . . . . I buy the genuine Honda ones in groups of 5

Don

Quickster2
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Quickster2 »

Will ride for a couple of hundred miles easy riding (while I sort out the bike and get myself accustomed to riding after a 20 year sabbatical) then change the oil again and go with genuine Honda filters. I read somewhere that the CBX flter (high flow) is all Honda sells for this and the 750? Thanks.

Quickster2
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Quickster2 »

No more K & N filters nor EMCO. Just had an experience with both filters and my Son's 1974 CB350F1. Changed his oil this past weekend and hard a hard time getting the K & N over the bolt. His came with a Honda filter. Notice both the K & N and EMCO have less "capture" of the seal on either side of the metal flanges of the filter element. Due to the tightness to the bolt both seals tended to roll over and out of their position. Had to remove the Honda filter seals and reuse on new K & N filter. Based on that experience ordered 6 Honda filters from Bike Bandit. So........Actevo and Honda filters for me from now on.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I am doing an oil change on my Prolink and want to change the filter. I have a couple of K&N KN-401 filters. Are they really crap or are they O.K. to use?
Anybody have actual negative or positive experience?

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

135 reviews to sift through on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/KN-401-Motorcycle ... B000E2CVT2

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Thanks, Steve!

Looks like this review sums it up, and was a real useful one for me:

The filters are awesome, the O-rings are miserable. Seems most reviewers who were having O-ring problems were Kawasaki owners and the problem was with the large housing-to-block O-ring. I have two Hondas, a CB900F and a CBX and I could visibly see the larger cross section diameter of the K&N center bolt O-ring compared to the OEM item. After lubricating the center bolt O-ring I could not install it in the filter housing. I reverted back to the OEM O-ring and installation was not a problem. K&N makes the finest aftermarket filter available but these wrong O-rings are an issue. I would buy the K&N filters again but will use OEM rings.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Everything worked absolutely fine. Contrary to all the other comments, even the ones from the person with the 900F and CBX, I had no problem whatsoever with the O-rings. They were an exact fit.
Almost seemed the kit was patterned for the CBX. You have to be careful, however, when bolting the housing back to the block and not pinching the O-ring. The large O-ring was slightly warped from packaging and had a tendency to come out of the groove. That was the only issue. 8)

Return to “OILS: Specs, Opinions, Preferences, and more”