oil level

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

oil level

Post by DevonCbx »

I would like to thank everybody for giving me information regarding the capacity of oil.

I have a.question regarding replacing the engine with fresh oil. It states in the manual to put in aprox. 4.2 US quarts, but at the back of the manual it states that the capacity is 5.8 quarts. and then says after disassembly. What I am wondering about, what is the proper amount of oil? I'm hoping that this may be the problem of my CBX smoking. :oops:

Thanks

Duane

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

The 5.8 quart version is after a complete rebuild, when there's not a trace of oil on any internal parts, not just an oil and filter change. I suppose (how much oil to use for an oil and filter change) gets into individual preferences so I'll just speak from thousands of miles of experience with my 79 and 82 CBXs. I drain hot oil and change the filter and add five quarts. My 79 has nearly 50,000 miles on it and my 82 has over 92,000. Neither has ever smoked and I've never had an oil related problem.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

You put in whatever amount it takes to get the oil to the top mark on the dipstick with the bike vertical - No more no less

As Terry mentioned, it will be less than 5.8 quarts, but probably a little more than 4.2 quarts . . . . . but the actual amount is immaterial - Fill it to full (and no more) using the dipstick

Don

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: oil level

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

DevonCbx wrote:I would like to thank everybody for giving me information regarding the capacity of oil.

I have a.question regarding replacing the engine with fresh oil. It states in the manual to put in aprox. 4.2 US quarts, but at the back of the manual it states that the capacity is 5.8 quarts. and then says after disassembly. What I am wondering about, what is the proper amount of oil? I'm hoping that this may be the problem of my CBX smoking. :oops:

Thanks

Duane

Hi Duane

Dont worry about micro-managing the amount of oil to the tablespoon...put the 5.0 quarts per Terrys suggestion ....then screw in the dipstick

a. Put your CBX on the center stand, start and let the engine idle for a few minutes... shut the motor off...take the dipstick out. Clean the oil off with a paper towel and reinsert the dipstick ....but but do not screw in....pull back out and check the indicated oil level on the dipstick.

a. The oil level should be below the max line...add oil in very small quantaties (pint or so at a time), recheck ....repeat.... until the oil is up to the max line.
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

Return to “OILS: Specs, Opinions, Preferences, and more”