Oil Poll

What type of engine oil do you use in your CBX?

Petroleum Based
48%
Synthetic
52%

Total votes: 69

cb1100f
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Oil Poll

Post by cb1100f »

Petroleum based or Synthetic?
[b]Glenn[/b]

'83 CB1100F , '82 CBX, '94 Wife

[url=http://cb1100f.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1524][color=blue][b]Here's the CBF FAQs[/b][/color][/url]

jw price

oil poll

Post by jw price »

synthetic

Ron#5602
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Oil poll

Post by Ron#5602 »

synthetic

ron#5602

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by sr71cbx »

--
Last edited by sr71cbx on Mon May 17, 2004 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Oils

Post by EMS »

This is one hairy and extensively discussed subject. :roll: As synthetic, motorcycle-specific oils are still relatively rare (and expensive) the verdict is still out what is "best" to use, especially in older bikes, like the CBX. As I change the oil in my CBXes more often than the recommended intervals - on average every 1,500-2000 miles - and as I do not ride my CBXes as hard as some others may :wink: , I use petro based oil. I use synthetic in some of my other bikes .

Dave Ditner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Location: Oxford, Michigan except for winter, Wildwood Florida then

what kind of oil

Post by Dave Ditner »

Synthetic, Mobil 1 15-50. Still the old stuff. Got enough for at least 4 more years. By then I'll know if the new stuff will work. I love it. God forbid we start the oil thread again :roll:
Davey

9 Xs: 4-79s, 1-80, 1-81 and 3-82s

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Oil

Post by EMS »

Don't want to start the oil thread either, Dave. But want to say: Automotive Mobil 1: Bad choice! Anything that shows the "high efficiency" stamp on the can, for that matter, is a bad choice.

cb1100f
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by cb1100f »

With a 52/47 split maybe we should start it again. Only 'cause I missed it the first time through.
[b]Glenn[/b]

'83 CB1100F , '82 CBX, '94 Wife

[url=http://cb1100f.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1524][color=blue][b]Here's the CBF FAQs[/b][/color][/url]

Land_Shark
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Land_Shark »

I read somewhere that synthetic oils in any motorcycel built before '81 is not a good idea due to the composition of the oil seals. After '81 the manufacturers recognised the trend towards synthetics and updated the material used on their oil seals.

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by sr71cbx »

--
Last edited by sr71cbx on Mon May 17, 2004 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

busaboy
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

oil

Post by busaboy »

I have used Mobil 1 10W-30 since I got my '80 in 1992, and have never had a problem. I recently started using Amsoil 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle oil, since 10W-40 is what's recommended, but I haven't noticed any difference.
Eric

cbxchris

Post by cbxchris »

For years I used Kendall GT-1. All aftermarket cam manufactors recommended it and I had great results with it....but as usual they changed it. I recently tried motorcycle valvoline oil....I saw that auto-zone was carrying it and thought I`d try it. Seems OK in the cbx. I have tried almost everything there is...lots of motorcycle specicfic and auto oils....synthetic and dino. For my 2 cents I`d probably vote for Shell rotella 15-40. It does not have the star burst conservation symbol and is the #1 rated heavy service oil. I have tried it in everything from turbo nitrous suzuki drag bikes to several high HP hayabusa`s with never any problem. I have it in almost everything I own with no problems. I also agree that Mobil 1 will find your oil leaks for you. My cbx leaked in places that I never had problems until I removed it. Recently I had a friend do a article on oils for motorcyle consumer news. I suggested he try shell rotella in his article just for the heck of it...he did. Go to thier site and read the results.....it was one of the best oils tested. One good thing it is cheap and bought by the gallon. Heck I don`t know why I always get in these oil threads....just like to argue I guess :P ......take care...like to read others opinions on this suject! Chris

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

MC Oil

Post by EMS »

Yes, Chris :!: The MC Consumer News article was great. Recommend it to anybody who still uses automotive spec oil in his/her bike. I also use Shell Rotella, not exclusively though. :!:

chevok
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Link..

Post by chevok »

Chris,

Do you have a link for the oil article?? Thanks!!!
Ken Brown--Have bike, will ride....

cbxchris

Post by cbxchris »

I`m sorry I don`t. I know the article came out I think last summer. Anyone else out there have the link? It was a good article.

Return to “OILS: Specs, Opinions, Preferences, and more”