Removal of Primary shaft to adjust Ignition timing

canwi
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Removal of Primary shaft to adjust Ignition timing

Post by canwi »

Hi everyone. Can I get advice on the following please.
I have recently rebuilt my 1979 clutch with new rubber cushions. I locked the transmission into 5th gear to undo the main nut, this was after setting the ignition timing correctly with # 6 cylinder at TDC and the Pulse generator pointing to # 1/6 pickup.

After I completed putting everything back together I fired it up and it was running rough, sounding like it was missing a cylinder on the right hand exhaust. I could not get any vac reading from #4 carb. I got some vac readings from the other cylinders then decided to check the ignition timing.

To my dismay when I connected the timing light to #6 spark lead the Pulse generator is now pointing to #3/4 cylinders pickup.

I have again dismantled the right side, pulling the clutch etc from that side right down to the Primary shaft gear that is held on the shaft by an 22 mill nut.

The only think I can think of currently is the shaft has moved and jumped a couple of splines internally thus placing the timing out.

Is there a way to pull this shaft out and adjust it's position so I can set the ignition timing up with the advance pin pointing to # 1/6 cylinders?

Thanks for any help on this.

Cheers,

Canwi.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Removal of Primary shaft to adjust Ignition timing

Post by tevan »

Are you sure the advancer shaft with the pin is not sheared partially and throwing the timing off? I don't see how you would of screwed up the primary shaft. Was this bike running fine before all of this? Did you have the cases split? Cams out?

canwi

Post by canwi »

Hello.

No the advancer shaft is okay with pin securely in place. The bike was running just okay before with the Pulse pointing to #1/6 pickup when I last checked the ignition timing before dismantling the right side, clutch basket, etc. I was thinking that perhaps I may have slipped the Primary shaft a notch or two when I had the socket on the big clutch nut trying to undo it. I mean is this something anyone else has had happen to them?

Cheers,

Rob.

canwi

Post by canwi »

Also I have not had the case split of Cams out.

Cheers,

Rob.

preston
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by preston »

See page 12-17 of the service manual for the correct timing of the primary shaft.
Sorry but you can't reset the primary shaft unless you split the cases. It is unlikely the shaft
jumped timing.
Sounds as if it is a wiring fault. Is this a stock ignition system?

canwi

Post by canwi »

Hi guys. Problem sorted. I was looking at the wrong colour wiring for #6/1. Duhhh, too many late hours working on this machine:-). Appreciate your assistance.

Cheers,

Canwi.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”