Been in storage for 12 years

pterodactyl
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Been in storage for 12 years

Post by pterodactyl »

12 years ago I installed Kerker 4 into 2 headers, jets and K&N filters on my 82 CBX. It hasn't been started since because of a major move from CA to Idaho.

I put fogging oil in the cylinders back then. I did try to start it maybe 9 years ago, but didn't follow through. Haven't tried since then

I am now retired and have the time to follow through with it but don't know where to start. I don't want to do anything that will damage the engine as it only has 16,000 miles on it

Can anyone help me with this? Any advice/references will be appreciated.

I'm still learning to use the form....

Thank you

Rob

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Been in storage for 12 years

Post by daves79x »

Welcome Rob! Did you either completely fill or completely drain the tank? Whatever the case there, it needs verified completely clean from old gas/tar/varnish/whatever. Real biggie are the carbs. Did you drain those prior to storage? If so, you have a chance. If not, they will need completely rebuilt. No way around it and you will be chasing your tail trying anything else. Engine itself should be fine. I'd also seriously consider going back to the stock airbox and jetting, but that's just me. Typical things, change oil, new plugs, new tires, new battery (AGM).

It will also need the forks rebuilt and the rear shock checked out. This is probably a minimum and expect some other little (or not so little) things to crop up. Most of us here have been through this many times, so look around here for answers and certainly ask away.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Been in storage for 12 years

Post by EMS »

Welcome Rob! I don't want to scare you in any way, but when I had a bike that has sat for that long, I always took the cylinder head off before anything else. For one thing, you can assess any problems that moisture may have created inside and also in almost all cases, new valve stem seals are necessary anyway. :think:

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”