Cam chain tensioners

pouchy750
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Cam chain tensioners

Post by pouchy750 »

The official Honda workshop manual is a little vague on the procedure.
From memory, I believe it is set by just pushing in on the adjuster & tightening the lock nut.
I would assume you would want the correct tension on the tightest run of the chain.
Do you turn the engine until this occurs & set the locknut?
What is the correct procedure on adjusting & setting both cam chain adjusters?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Cam chain tensioners

Post by EMS »

The official Honda manual procedure says to adjust the tensioners with the engine running. This way it makes sure the pulling strand is under load and the tensioners are taking the slack out of the return strand.
It is a little difficult to do this with the engine running, especially for the large tensioner where the lock nut sits behind the cylinders.
You can adjust the tensioners by turning the engine forward by hand, with the valve cover off and making sure, the "pulling" strand is tight.
The springs in the tensioners are supposed to bend the flexible slider into the return strand, thus taking the slack out.
As this does not work all the time, especially on older tensioners, one way is to help the springs pull the tensioners manually and then lock the nut.

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Cam chain tensioners

Post by asacuta »

On my bike, the procedure in the service manual doesn't work. I manually adjust the tensioners as originally described in the Tech Tip Chronicles.
Al

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”