bike will not start

mike209
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

bike will not start

Post by mike209 »

maybe someone here will know what is the problem. Bike was starting without any problems when cams were 180 deg out, I noticed it before disaster happened, I pulled the motor, replaced cam chains just in case and motor went back into the bike, and.... It does not want to start. there is spark on all spark plugs, but they are wet after cranking. bike has big bore kit, stage 3 jet kit, pod filters, mac exhaust.
any ideas what is wrong? :text-feedback:

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: bike will not start

Post by tevan »

Did you split case to get chain in or did you do the master link way? Timing issue?

mike209
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mike209 »

I did split the cases

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

How is your timing marks?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Ditto on the timing. Do your static timing marks line up? Very easy to get the primary shaft off a tooth, but if it ran with the cams 180 out and all you did was correct that, it should run now. Rereading your post, it seems you did all the work after the bike ran before. So back to the timing.

Dave

mike209
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mike209 »

Crank shaft mark lined up and cam sprockets markas lined up, however they are off by one third of a tooth. Primary shaft? i I am not sure, will check it tonight.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

It's not the cam timing we're referring to, its the primary shaft timing to the crank. When you put the clutch cover back on and installed the pulser unit, you should have checked the static timing then. That's where your primary shaft timing will show up. If you were able to slightly tweak the pulser backing plate to get the timing right on, then the shaft is installed correctly, if you can't get it to line up, then you're off a tooth. Bottom line is if you already checked the static ignition timing is correct, then you got the primary shaft in correctly. Also make sure all the connectors you took apart to remove the engine are reconnected now.

Dave

mike209
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mike209 »

Thanks Dave, I think it is the primary shaft, I am almost sure I did not pay attention at marking when putting it back :sad-roulette:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Not sure how you would have missed that it was wrong, though, if you put back the ignition pulser and set the static timing. Check that first and see if you can bring it in - then you'll know for sure. There is quite clear instructions in the shop manual about how to reinstall the primary shaft and what position everything has to be in. Did you skip over that step or are you trying to do all this without a shop manual?

Dave

mike209
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mike209 »

ok, just checked it, way off, around 120 deg, so I took out the advancer, cut another notch for the locating pin in the "right" place and done, bike started right up and it runs fantastic, thank you guys for help :text-thankyouyellow:

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Well done, Gents.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

mike209 wrote:ok, just checked it, way off, around 120 deg, so I took out the advancer, cut another notch for the locating pin in the "right" place and done, bike started right up and it runs fantastic, thank you guys for help :text-thankyouyellow:
Isn't that "cheating"? :o :lol:
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Glad it runs now, but I have to tell you, that was a really Mickey Mouse shortcut to fix it. You are also setting up anyone in the future for a real mess, that happens to work on it. You never answered the question - are you trying to do all this without a shop manual? You got away with a couple of real screw-ups here - next time you might not be so lucky. Please take your time and get a shop manual!

Dave

mike209
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mike209 »

Dave, I have manual and I new primary shaft needs to be aligned, I went trough this step carefully before, and this time I did not take the time I should have. :teasing-poke:
It will be corrected next time engine is out

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

It is certainly a 'Mickey Mouse' fix for sure and not one I would entertain.

But, at the end of the day, if it works and runs and you have no plans to sell the bike and you can live with it, then 'no harm, no foul'?

As a clue and to help out the next person who goes in there, even if it is you, it may be worth putting a dot of white paint on the back of the advancer unit to highlight the correct slot for next time, and a matching dot of white paint on the shaft near the pin as a precautionary reminder.

Pleased for you that you got it going though.....

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”