82 CBX Fuel range to reserve

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

82 CBX Fuel range to reserve

Post by RJ CB650 »

Was glancing at some documents, and noticed that the fuel range to hit reserve was WAY higher than what I get on mine.

http://www.cbxclub.com/davespage/cw81-6.html specifically

Anyways, it says Range (to reserve tank) 188 mi. I assuming at highway cruising? In city when riding last year, I was getting like half that. Think best in city I got was a bit over 100mi if memory serves me right? Actually I think might have been lower but did not seem rich and whole fuel system is new and rebuilt with no signs of leaking.

What do you guys get? Just wanting to get baseline as I prep for pre-riding tune ups and service.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: 82 CBX Fuel range to reserve

Post by daves79x »

Early models with ethanol gas run very conservatively on the highway will get 35mpg or so, but in actuality, a mix of around town and highway/spirited riding will get you 30 mpg if you are lucky. I've averaged about 36 on my original '79 in it's 45,000 miles. Pro-Links do better, with many owners reporting over 40 mpg traveling. You should expect to use about 4 gals to reserve - do the math from there.

Dave

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

I have gotten 50+ mpg while putting around on a trip, and down to 25 mpg while flogging it. Usual is right around 40 mpg.

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I am getting approx 130 miles to reserve on my 81 Prolink when riding on a Sunday on mostly rural roads with some freeway. 8)

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Shell V-Power ethanol free and i am hitting reserve around 100 miles on my '81.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Think maybe you're jetted a bit rich?

Dave

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Thanks for the baseline. I did the math conversion during the summer fills to gauge the mileage, converting from litres to gallons (4-1?) with mostly city driving.

Not rich, at least no signs that I have seen. It used to be rich, but the carbs were larger jetted before i did service. With the bike being out of tune, etc when I got it, I rejetted back to stock to get it all in tune and go from there. I run Shell Gold, ethanol free as well. My only base for comparision was my nighthawk which gets about the same distance on less fuel. Thanks for the baselines guys. When the roads are clear and she is all back together, has that little bit more to go.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

My '81 has 64A-A carbs with #105/#55 jets. Pipemasters with a properly oiled k&N air filter.
Just took the plugs out and they are a good colour except for #5 which is a bit rich.
Probably just too much fun on the backroads.

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Not sure what the pipes are on it. Has the K&N. Think it was 110, 60 or something swapped into it. The jets in it when I got it were rich from what I could tell, but it needed the carbs done so never ran it on the jets that were on it. Re-doing exhaust tune and time. If I need a re-jet, will do then. Want to re-verify timing and carb balance. Low speed jet being the 35 could be why it has the 3k hesitation.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

If you are converting from Gallons to Liters and have the desire to be exact, you should use 3.85:1. Probably not a big deal, but so is fuel mileage on a CBX, IMO! :D

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Just an FYI: My '82 typically does 40 mpg cruising at 70 - 75. That's calculated dividing od numbers by gallons pumped. Engine/carbs/air system/exhaust all stock.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

EMS wrote:If you are converting from Gallons to Liters and have the desire to be exact, you should use 3.85:1. Probably not a big deal, but so is fuel mileage on a CBX, IMO! :D

I think you mean 3.78541:1
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

NobleHops wrote:
EMS wrote:If you are converting from Gallons to Liters and have the desire to be exact, you should use 3.85:1. Probably not a big deal, but so is fuel mileage on a CBX, IMO! :D

I think you mean 3.78541:1
I stand corrected. I posted from memory, which - obviously - is not the best anymore... :roll:
But it makes it even more important to be exact. After all, it is a 5% difference. 40 MPG or 38 MPG..could be along walk to the next gas station.. 8) :lol:

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

The specs state 5.8 gallon tank with .8 gallon reserve.
I usually fill my tank after every ride regardless.
I remember that when i started riding it, easy ride, some country roads and some hwy, I got home with around 200miles and my reserve didn't kick in yet, unless my odometer is inaccurate.
I remember that when I cleaned carbs, I set fuel mixture screws out to 1 1/4 out by the book thinking that I would tune it later but bike ran so nice that I left it alone.
After a while I read on here that it maybe too lean and I have it turned out to 2 turns out but, now i do not get anywhere close to that range but it is definitely a bit too rich now.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by asacuta »

Diddling the mixture screws has a big effect on fuel consumption: even 1/8 of a turn makes a noticeable difference on my bike.
Al

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”