How many miles is too many?

sillysnapon
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

How many miles is too many?

Post by sillysnapon »

Hello folks,

I'm also a sort of veteran of the CBXer since its been around and have owned one since it was released. My question is I have almost 50,000 miles on my 1980. It runs fine, naturally a little smoke if you get on it and the clutch basket is noisy but nothing unusual for a CBX thats driven regularly. It also has a little bit of valve clatter noise on initial start from a dead stop if its really hot if I'm not using a good premium gas. But I'm just wondering what the even more experienced personal out there would say about engine maintenance. I have considered taking the head off and hand lapping the valves and maybe having a new set of rings put in but nothing extravagant. I've already done one CBX with a maximum big bore kit so I'm not too interested in that since i"m happy with the stock unit now that I''m a little older. I've had one mechanic I spoke to say simply "if it ain't broke don't mess with it" So again any recommendations???

Thanks
Al
sillysnapon

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: How many miles is too many?

Post by daves79x »

Hi Al: Your CBX would certainly benefit from a set of oversize cam couplers. These will quiet your likely pretty clattery top end (which gradually develops and you may not even notice by now). My 45,000 mile '79 is now quiet as new. I'd also rebuild the clutch basket with new damping rubbers, which will quiet that down. That and a good carb sync will have your bike sounding like new. That's all I'd do. Good luck.

Dave

patzx12
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: How many miles is too many?

Post by patzx12 »

My road 82 CBX has 80000km and is running perfectly. I don't know the history except that it came from Scandinavia.
I have a twin shock in storage and has over 50000 miles. Its quiet enough but a bit smokey, I will give it a minor rebuild when I get around to it.
If you think the CBX is rattley come and listen to my 2014 BMW R1200GS Adventure engine.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”