Oil Seal behind engine sprocket

pouchy750
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Oil Seal behind engine sprocket

Post by pouchy750 »

I'm about to start the engine I put together on a 1979 CBX1000.
I was priming the oiling system on the electric starter, when I noticed a large amount of oil coming from the engine sprocket area.
I took the engine sprocket off again & noticed there is an oil gallery there & NO oil seal fitted!
I didn't take this engine apart & it is my first CBX1000 rebuild, but I should have known better.
The new seal has a location lip on the outside of it, so I assume it should have been fitted to the gearbox output shaft before I put the 2 crankcase halves together.
Is it possible to remove this lip & then install the seal over the output shaft? I know it is a bit of a bodge.
The sprocket & interference fit should hold the seal in place. Or is the oil pressure too great & it will force the oil seal out.
I really don't want to remove the engine from the frame & strip it again, if I don't have to.
Any suggestions please?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Oil Seal behind engine sprocket

Post by daves79x »

Is this 'oil gallery' the hole in the countershaft sprocket? Not sure where you are seeing the oil, but it will gush out of the countershaft hole if you don't have the proper o-ring installed on the countershaft sprocket bolt and it's not tightened down. Otherwise, sounds like you have the large seal installed correctly.

Dave

pouchy750
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pouchy750 »

No. It's the large oil seal that is missing. It wasn't installed when the crankcases were apart! It goes around the sprocket output shaft.
I have installed the small o-ring behind the sprocket bolt / washer.
I need to install the large seal but it has a lip on the outside of it. I assume this locates it in the crankcases.
If I remove this lip can I press the large seal into the cases with no gearbox oiling problems?
I really don't want to split the cases again.
Thanks.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, you can grind off the lip and install the seal with some case sealant around it and it will likely be fine. Several guys have replaced those seals that way with success. The shop manual and parts book clearly show where the seal goes when joining the case halves. You didn't put it all together without at least a shop manual?

Dave

pouchy750
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pouchy750 »

Yes I did use the original factory Honda workshop manual, but I would say it is a little lacking in places.
With each part of the engine described in different chapters, I found the assembly procedure didn't flow like a Haynes manual, for example.
As I said, the engine was disassembled by the previous owner & this is the first CBX1000 engine I have worked on.
It was my mistake for no seeing the missing oil seal on the gearbox output shaft when I was reassembly the engine.
Thanks for all you responses "daves79x", you appear to be the expert on these models.

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Another VERY important 'Gotcha!' for the unwary when putting these engines together is to be ABSOLUTELY sure to align the notch in RH end of the jack shaft (into which the ignition advance and retard unit fits) correctly in relation to the crankshaft position.

Check out and be sure to understand fully Section 12, Page 17 for the correct procedure and details and check yours is right before you go any further.

Easy to miss when assembling the engine for those unfamiliar with them and you have had the primary chain, jack shaft or crankshaft out for any reason.

Get it right, all will be well and it has a good chance of starting. Get it wrong and it won't start at all.

(I met a fellow once many decades ago now who did get it wrong and simply got the angle grinder out to cut an alternative slot. Be warned, they are out there......)

Cheers..Tony

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Tony:

Yes, I've taken apart a couple of engines to correct the primary shaft timing. An easy way I've found to be absolutely sure you're right is to temporarily install the pulser shaft, clutch cover and pulse unit onto the crankcase half and see for sure if your timing marks line up. It is very easy to get the primary shaft off a tooth or more if you are not familiar with the procedure. Takes 5 minutes to do that check and will save hours fixing it later.

Dave

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”