Rattling noise

CBXSA
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Rattling noise

Post by CBXSA »

My 550 F has a rattling noise and knock when idling. It is louder when the engine is still cold, but, becomes quieter as the engine gets warmer. The rattling is very much constant, hot or cold. I do not detect any slack in performance.

Is it the cam-chain? I did read that it is a problem on the CBX's.
Is it advisable not to ride the bike until it is fixed?

I would appreciate all and any advise.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Re: Rattling noise

Post by Rick Pope »

First, welcome. Glad you stopped in here. But, this is a site focussed on the CBX 1000. Most of us are in the USA, and we only got the CBX1000 here, not the other sizes.

That said, try pulling in the clutch lever at an idle and see if the noise lessens, or even goes away. If so, you likely need a tune-up and carb synch.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Rattling noise

Post by EMS »

Without hearing it, it is difficult to even guess. It could be a number of things.
I don't think it is the clutch though. These second generation DOHCs did not really suffer from the clutch ailment that the 79 and 80 CBX and some of the early 80 F bikes did.
Like you said, cam chain, valves, worn cam itself and even main bearings could be the culprit.
I would recommend to have a trusted mechanic with some experience, not necessarily a dealership, listen to it and assess the "damage". 8)

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”