Thermal imaging made affordable

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Thermal imaging made affordable

Post by Kool_Biker »

I was reading the other day a review of the FLIR & Seek thermal imaging camera attachments for the iPhone
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/11/ ... -to-iphone
Makes me wonder how useful these could be, pointing them to our 6 headers for a quick glance at the state (primarily balance) of our sixes ...
Review__FLIR_ONE_and_Seek_bring_thermal_imaging_to_iPhone.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Thermal imaging made affordable

Post by asacuta »

Since FLIR recently lowered the price for the TG165, I bought one. I pointed it at the CBX after my last ride, and all the downtubes looked to be the same temp. The head temperature also looked even across both banks. Next time I have the covers off, I'll see if any of the connectors are hotter than they should be.

If you want to spend a little more than double the TG165, you can buy an E4, which also has a normal camera so that you can blend IR and visible images. Since the E4 uses the same hardware as the E8, you can hack it to produce the substantially improved resolution of the E8. The TG165 is about $400; the E4 is about $1k; the E8 is about $4k.
Al

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

Hi Asacuta, would be great if you could post some thermal imaging pictures of your CBX, taken with your TG165.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by asacuta »

I'll try to take some next time I have the CBX out for a ride. The Vantage and Rune are next up on the rotation, so it may be a few weeks.
Al

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by asacuta »

I haven't had the CBX out, but I did change to waterless coolant in my Rune. Here are some shots from the TG165:

Radiator from right

Radiator from left

Radiator from left closeup
Al

Paddy_SP
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Paddy_SP »

I use thermal imagers all the time as I do a lot of pest control work for local farmers, for which the technology is ideal. I use the TI (in my case a Solo TI 'Stealth S2 Integrated') to locate the animal in question, then use a rifle fitted with night vision equipment to finish the job. My shooting partner uses a Pulsar HD50S. I'm still working on my CBX projects though, so can't help yet with anything useful as regards pipe temps, etc!

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Though a bit crude, an I-pad has thermal imaging built in too. Wouldn't likely spot a raccoon ad 100 yards, but still fun.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”