Which spark plugs for an '82 CBX

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Which spark plugs for an '82 CBX

Post by hondaman160mph »

I am changing spark plugs on my '82 and noticed the plugs installed now are NGK DR8ES,the book says DR8ES-L.What is the difference between the two. I have a new set of DR8ES,should I get a set of DR8ES-L ? I recall reading somewhere the L means 1/2 heat range hotter? I can't find that info now. Does 1/2 heat range matter?

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Which spark plugs for an '82 CBX

Post by herdygerdy »

Can't comment on the -L code and what it means, but perhaps you may consider putting in a set of DR8EIX Iridium plugs?

More expensive but longer life and a hotter, fatter spark due to very small electrode tip according to many.

For an explanation of what all the codes mean.......

http://www.elstars.com.au/pdf/manual/au ... atalog.pdf

Enjoy!

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

I have NGK Iridium in both the CBX and my Nighthawk. The CBX came with them. My 82 nighthawk, it did make a noticable difference in operation. Not sure how to explain. Mostly at cold idle, it was smoother, and seems to be smoother when in higher rpm band. Shrug

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Iridium is used primarily to provide longer spark plug life to meet emission requirements over the required time established by EPA. Typically, better performance results seen when changing to iridium plugs is just that new plugs were installed. The true advantage that will be realized is longer plug life with attendant better performance after 'x' miles without plug changing. So, is there an advantage? Yes, longer plug life! Is it worth the price? In a modern 4-wheeler with front wheel drive V6 where a plug change may be a 3-hours project, I'd say yes. For a 15 minutes job on an air-cooled bike --- ??
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Confirm that the "-L" in the NKG spec stands for half a heat range.
In addition to Larry's point about considering the change time making the use of Iridium plugs worth the cost, I would also consider the miles you put on your CBX. If you ride the bike a lot, it may well be worth the additional expense. If you don't, it may not. If extended life is the only proven advantage of Iridium plugs, would it matter if you change the plugs every 10 or every 15 years?

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

after looking at the NGK web site I found that the DR8ES and D8ES have been replaced by DR8EA and D8EA,essentially the same plug. The letter S denotes standard 2.5mm center electrode and the A denotes "special design" they don't say what special design is. Dennis Kirk must be getting rid of older inventory,they sent me DR8ES,that is what I am installing. Thanks for the input guys.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”