tilting the motor without removing Kerker header?

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

tilting the motor without removing Kerker header?

Post by hondaman160mph »

I have to tilt the motor on my '82 to remove the carbs and was wondering if anyone has done it without removing a 6 into 1 Kerker header.It took a bit of tweaking and adjusting when I installed it to get the spacing equal between all 6 header pipes and would like to leave it on if possible.

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: tilting the motor without removing Kerker header?

Post by spencer »

I believe that in the latest edition of Mike Nixon's carburetor book, he tells how to tilt the engine without removing the stock exhaust. I would think that that procedure would work with your exhaust system as well.
SCH Rochester, MN

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Jeff:

Yes, just loosen the flange nuts and remove the rear hanger bolts. The exhaust should sag enough to allow engine tilting. Never did it with a 6-1, but should work.

Dave

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

If you follow Mike's procedure, I don't think you even have to loosen the flange nuts. The whole exhaust system rotates with the engine.
SCH Rochester, MN

Sharpie66
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Sharpie66 »

I followed Mike's procedure on my '82 and I did not not have to loosen the exhaust flange nuts (initially, that is). I only removed the exhaust hanger/passenger peg bolt which allowed the exhaust to pivot as the motor was lowered. Definitely watch the mufflers as you lower as they will get damaged if allowed to jam up against the frame. Not much room there as that is the stopping point for lowering the motor with the exhaust still attached. I found it was just enough room to remove my valve cover for adjustments but did not provide enough room for carb removal. I am no where near as experienced as most and perhaps those with years of experience doing this could remove the carbs at this point. I couldn't and therefore proceeded to remove the exhaust system. I found I needed the additional leverage of lowering the engine to 'pop' the carbs free from the airbox boots. Plus I believe that the additional space will be much appreciated when the time comes to put the carbs back on. These carbs have also never been removed as far as I can tell. Maybe yours will be easier and you won't have to remove your exhaust. I hope so.

Purchase Mike Nixon's book on the CBX Carburetor and you won't be disappointed. Tons of information and pics. :D
Good luck.

PC
Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

That is the exact reason you just take a couple of extra minutes to loosen the flange nuts - it gives more sag to lower the engine enough to get the airbox and carbs off. Take the airbox off first, then tilt the engine back up in place if you are worried about stability to remove the carbs. Removing and reinstalling the exhaust on a late model is a real pain and can take as long as the carb removal.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

On the 6-1, the header is separate from the muffler, isn't it? So, if you remove the can, there should be no issue tilting the engine with the header left in place...I may have that wrong, but..

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

I did remove the muffler and also loosened the head pipes allowing the header to drop down quite a bit,looks like it will work.Taking off and reinstalling a Kerker header is a bit of a pain because all 6 pipes are separate. I have the throttle cables off and almost ready to tilt the motor. Proceeding with caution so I don't screw anything up. I took the entire motor out to paint it 7 years ago,but to be honest I do not recall all of what was involved. I was also younger and perhaps smarter back then....

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by asacuta »

Sharpie66 wrote:I found it was just enough room to remove my valve cover for adjustments but did not provide enough room for carb removal.
Am I missing something? I've never had to tilt the engine to remove the valve cover on my 81.
Al

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Didn't miss anything, Al. The valve cover of an 81/82 can be removed without tilting the engine. But, not the airbox. Gotta do as Dave said to remove a stock airbox. At least with an 81/82. Tilting the engine a little does make for easier valve cover removal and re-install. BUT, a fair bit more work.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Sharpie66
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Sharpie66 »

asacuta wrote:
Sharpie66 wrote:I found it was just enough room to remove my valve cover for adjustments but did not provide enough room for carb removal.
Am I missing something? I've never had to tilt the engine to remove the valve cover on my 81.
I don't think you missed anything....must have been me that missed something in the fine print. :D
Larry Zimmer wrote:Didn't miss anything, Al. The valve cover of an 81/82 can be removed without tilting the engine. But, not the airbox. Gotta do as Dave said to remove a stock airbox. At least with an 81/82. Tilting the engine a little does make for easier valve cover removal and re-install. BUT, a fair bit more work.
I found the task of tilting the engine to be very straightforward and really not much of a big deal. Perhaps an additional 15 minutes of work. I will certainly give it a better shot next time, however, so that I won't be bothered with tilting the engine.

PC
Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Larry Zimmer wrote:Didn't miss anything, Al. The valve cover of an 81/82 can be removed without tilting the engine. .

Sorry, I can not do this on any of my CBXes. The cover does not lift high enough to clear the center cam caps with the oil lines when the engine is not tilted. So, I am obviously missing something. Seems like I do a lot.... :roll:

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I've only had the valve covers off perhaps 5 or 6 CBXs, an '82 and several early models. Have yet to tilt a motor to check valves. Not saying it's easy, but do-able.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Besides the fact, that I cannot get the cover off, for me, it is difficult enough to put the valve cover back on with the seal staying properly in place when the motor is tilted. I wouldn't want to try that with the motor not tilted

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

I have been changing needle positions on one of the 80 CBX'S.
I can get the job done in an hour or less now.

I found I can get the #3&4 carb caps off easily with this method.
1) place the Jack under the engine.
2) remove the rear engine hangers.
3) remove the aft most upper front engine hanger bolt and loosen the fwd hanger bolt then remove the engine hanger bolt from the head.
4) remove the two air box hanger bolts,( the ones that support the filter box).
5) remove the muffler hanger bolt from the step.
6) remove the rear engine hanger bolt.
7) lower the engine just enough to get #3&4 caps off.

I haven't had to loosen the chain, pull plug wires, remove tach cable or shifting lever with this method.

Also easily get the valve cover off.

This works on my 79 and 80 bikes, haven't tried it on an 81/82.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”