Replacement air filter

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Replacement air filter

Post by Kool_Biker »

My original Honda foam filter of some years, literally disintegrated on me as I was gently trying to get it off to have it cleaned.
The same happened to an original sealed Honda foam filter sitting in my parts box for many years; it did not even make it out of its nylon wrapper... Guess these things have a shelf life.
So I need to find a new filter.

The K&N website indicates their HA-0900 as suitable for the job and actually better than the OEM.
HA-0900_-_K_N_Replacement_Filters__Replacement_Air_Filter_direct_from_K_N.jpg
Assuming that the above is correct, does it in any way mess up carburation? Is it replace and forget?
Any thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Replacement air filter

Post by ajs350 »

Aris
I found that the K&N gave me a brief flat spot around 4000rpm which went away when I replaced it with this paper filter from TIMS.
http://www.timscbx.com/Carburetor%20page%203.html
Ross

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Aris:

David Silver still has the foam socks or go the route Ross suggested with a paper one. I'd stay away from the K&N for the flat spot and also some chatter questioning their filtering abilities.

Dave

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by asacuta »

I've used that K&N filter for years with no flat spots; however, I have to keep the cover on the air box. If I remove the cover, the engine does bog down in the mid range. If it makes any difference, my idle screws are set to 2 1/8 out. A K&N filter came stock on my DB7, so if these have filtering problems, Ford and Aston Martin don't know about it.
Last edited by asacuta on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The '79 carbs seem to be the ones most affected by using a K&N.

Dave

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by asacuta »

Yes, mine is an 81; I have no experience with earlier models.
Al

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

Thank you guys for saving me from an unnecessary extra complication with the K&N, I could definitely do without :)
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Interesting, going through this now with an 80 that has vb62 carbs with a supertrapp 6-1 and K&N filter.

I thought it running poorly because it had sat so long. Pulled the carbs and found it had a Dyno Jet kit in it.

Long story short. I installed all new rubber and installed a stock filter and jetting. Ran the valves and checked compression. Still ran poorly.

Went back to the K&N filter, stock main and Dyno Jet needles in the 5th groove. They were in the third groove from the top. Runs and accelerates nicely now. I think I could go to the 6th groove and be fine.

I don't care for Dyno jet kits but the needles worked in this case. The stg 1 needles are less aggressive in shape than the stg 3 needles.

So lesson learned, these engines are very sensitive to airbox and filter changes and not to write off the Dyno jet needles without considering the characteristics of the bike.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”