Leakdown Tester

Jeff Dean
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Leakdown Tester

Post by Jeff Dean »

Good info. on the leakdown tester in the latest X-press. Question on the assembly. The drawing shows a 0-60 psi gage,yet the article recommends a 0-100? whick is perferred. Also, What pressure (psi) is used to preform the test. And lastly, how's the spark plug connected to the hose/fitting. Is it permenantly attached (ie another hose required for a bike w/ a different size plug?) I'm making one as we speak. Thanks in advance. JJD

Jeff Dean
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Jeff Dean »

Disregard previous, I have since learned to turn the page to see the rest of the article :oops:

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

leakdown tester

Post by Mike Nixon »

Jeff -- It's okay. It's good you read the whole article, but I anticipated that question, about the gauge, after I submitted the piece and noticed the oversight. My fault. The hand drawing shows 60 psi, the text and parts list says 100 pisi. Discrepancy. Here's the explanation, if you want one. The drawing was done back in the early 80s at Motorcycle Mechanics Institute, when we designed this tool for use by the students. The best gauge is in fact a 0-60, for two reasons. First, the lower pressure is actually more accurate, AND makes it easier to do low pressure tests like the one described in the article. However, this gauge is the hardest to find, plus doesn't lend itself well to using if you decide to not relabel the gauge's face backward. The 0-100 gauge can be used without relabeling, simply by remembering to READ it backward, i.e. "20" means 80 percent.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”