Cylinder #2 Not Firing

pgilliam1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Cylinder #2 Not Firing

Post by pgilliam1 »

If the manual would have given me a pic of the exhaust stud with the torque value (like it does for many of the other assemblies), all of that would have gone unsaid and unlearnt (misspelled for effect) - THX

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

A good point. For some reason, the exhaust is not covered in the FSM. Probably because there is nothing to "service" and removal and installation of the unit is a simple bolt-off and -on job. Although I do think handling the Prolink exhaust could have used a few pointers. :roll:

pgilliam1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pgilliam1 »

I took a video of the "puffing" sound, but this site won't let me upload it. Here is a bad pic because someone requested one and I said I would:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Post it on YouTube and link to it. Streaming video is a huge bandwidth hog, and I don't know of any web forum that will allow upload of it. Upload to YouTube, grab the link, post it here. Takes 5 minutes and is a useful skill to acquire.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

This may be a "bad picture", but it shows a really nice looking '81 CBX, Pat.
Your "puffing" sound could come from a bad or missing crossover seal in the exhaust. :?

pgilliam1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pgilliam1 »

I've never done You Tube, but I will check that crossover pipe - THX.

pgilliam1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pgilliam1 »

Ok, so here is the video on YouTube (you really can't make out the puffing sound though):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIAh30i ... e=youtu.be

[Moderator embed-o-matic pixie dust]

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Kick-ass Pat, way to go. I touched it to embed it, but what you did works perfectly well.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by asacuta »

Did you check the mufflers? Mine made a puffing noise when they were ready to perforate due to corrosion. That was a long time ago, but as I recall, the hole developed at the bottom of the mufflers just after the collectors, about where the rear clamp for the shield fastens. I couldn't easily see the developing hole until I probed it with a pick, but I could hear it.

The previous suggestion of checking the crossover is worth following. There is a seal there that could leak.
Al

pgilliam1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pgilliam1 »

Just got to check the exhaust crossover and there is a lot of air leakage blowing from the center connection. I'm assuming I'll have to take the exhaust headers loose to get the connector apart? After I have the connector apart can I just slip some exhaust wrap in the connection and clamp it tight or do I need to get the OEM gasket? I haven't checked if the clamp is loose, I'll check that first - of course. THX.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

You most likely have to take the whole exhaust off and put it together again to replace the gasket. Getting the crossover pipes together is one of the nasty things about mounting the Prolink exhaust. The shop probably screwed it up when they worked on it.
I see the original gaskets on ebay all the time. May still be available from Honda.

pgilliam1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pgilliam1 »

EMS wrote: The shop probably screwed it up when they worked on it.
So, you have to take the exhaust off to tilt the engine? I thought I read where you only had to loosen the exhaust mounts to tilt the engine. Or are you saying they just could have damaged the gasket when they tilted the engine? Anyway it would be hard for me to question the shop because I don't know if the exhaust was leaking before they got the bike. I'll muddle through replacing the gasket and hope that solves the puffing. Although the puffing sound seems to be coming out of the ends of the mufflers, I guess the breach at the crossover could cause it? We'll see - THX

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The 'by the book' method for titling the engine is to remove the exhaust. I'm positive the shop would have done that, twice. Remember those little things I mentioned that aren't done perfectly? This falls under that category. I hope that's your puffing sound, but I'm not sure it is.

Dave

pgilliam1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pgilliam1 »

So, under further inspection I found the original, old, crossover gasket (most probably reused) was not fully pushed back into the socket (the exhaust overlap is deeply cut and if the gasket is not fully seated the ends of the cuts get exposed). I couldn't budge the gasket, but I was able to pick out all the old gasket, carefully pack the overlap with 2 folds of exhaust wrap and clamp it back tight (I ground the inside ears of the exhaust clamp down a bit to enable a tighter clamp). Now there are no leaks in the exhaust anywhere. It did help the puffing, but didn't eliminate it. I'm starting to believe the sound might be normal because the bike starts and runs flawlessly. I also think it's time for me to quit being so picky and ride. Unless of course I find a CBX GURU, at which time I will bring the concerning sound to his attention.
This has been a great thread for me with lots of insightful advice. I can't thank the contributors enough and hope to pay it forward in helping others by sharing what you have taught me. THANKS!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Did you do all that with the exhaust installed, or did you take it off? :think:

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”