Cylinder #2 Not Firing

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Cylinder #2 Not Firing

Post by daves79x »

Yes, I think it's time to ride and enjoy it. If the engine runs and sounds fine, I wouldn't worry too much about the puffing. Just keep it in the back of your mind as you ride it more and maybe something will eventually click.

Dave

pgilliam1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pgilliam1 »

EMS wrote:Did you do all that with the exhaust installed, or did you take it off? :think:
I was able to spread the exhaust joint apart with various screwdrivers and pick the old gasket out (it broke up easily) and repack the joint by only removing the clamp. Took about 1 hour, but I took my time and made sure the joint was solid. Grinding down the clamps inside ears so it can be fully tightened is a must.

pgilliam1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pgilliam1 »

I did a search on "gas smell" but got nothing, so I have another question.

The bike runs and starts well, but I keep smelling gas, on start up only (both when the engine is cold and when warm after it sits for a while). I do not smell it when riding or after riding when idling. I cannot see a leak anywhere and my mpg's are good. The carb boots and fuel lines are new and I have a K&N air filter (if that matters). Any ideas or is that normal with 6 carbs? The smell never seems to be there when the engine is hot.

Also, I took the wife for a ride and with the extra weight I could really feel a squirm from the rear. I can't feel any slop in the swingarm, so that rear shock probably needs to go.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

No doubt your tank has been removed a bunch of times with all the work you have done.
Have you checked around the fuel line and petcock for dampness?

pgilliam1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pgilliam1 »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:No doubt your tank has been removed a bunch of times with all the work you have done.
Have you checked around the fuel line and petcock for dampness?
Did a complete inspection from the petcock to the carb boots and can't see any seepage anywhere. The smell goes away after the engine runs for just a short time - about a minute or 2. I've removed the tank several times myself (Honda made doing that easy!).

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The bowl vents (should) exit at the top of the center air chamber, directly under your nose as you sit on the bike. These carbs evaporate gas like no other and I think your gas smell is normal - most of us have either gotten used to it or don't notice it at all. When the bike is parked in a garage after riding, for several hours there will be a gas smell from evaporation due to the warm engine and 6 carbs full of gas.

You already know what I think of the stock rear shock. Pump it up to 70psi and pull the knob all the way out. Run it that way no matter how you're loaded - it's the best it will do.

Dave

pgilliam1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pgilliam1 »

Dave, once again a perfect explanation. Your responses are priceless. THX!

pgilliam1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pgilliam1 »

Just had to add another post to the end of my thread -

Bike runs very strong, puffing is still there but no worse. There is one thing I can't put my finger on though. What is it about this bike that makes me want to keep riding it? I have other more capable bikes in the garage, but every time I take this one for a ride I always want to keep on riding and not bring it back and park it. I don't feel that way on any of my other bikes - weird I guess?

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

That's simply being afflicted with great 'six appeal'. Most folk on here have it.

Yes, they're a labour of love, but when do they 'put out', its REALLY worth waiting for and always Oh so enjoyable! 8)

pgilliam1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pgilliam1 »

Just got her started for the season and she's runnin good. THX Dave for the start up procedure. I blew through the little hose twice and she fired right up. I can't believe it but the OEM suspension held air pressure all during storage. The tach is still a little jumpy over 4K, but I can live with that. I'm glad I bought this bike :P .

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”