Engine rattle on clutch side

mozzie26
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Engine rattle on clutch side

Post by mozzie26 »

I took my CBX prolink for a ride after it had been sitting for 6 months. Rode about 20kms and when I stopped I noticed a louder than normal rattle coming from the RH side of the engine near the clutch. I found a post here talking about a worn clutch basket where the damper springs sit, my springs are a little loose so this could be the rattle source.
Also wondering how much play there should be in the oil pump drive chain? Mine seams to have a fair bit, I can't find any specs on how long this chain should be?

Regards
Glen

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Engine rattle on clutch side

Post by daves79x »

The oil pump drive chain is very loose from new. It has no stress at all and would never need replaced. I guess there's a thread here somewhere about the late model clutch baskets' spring dampers wearing, but can't remember just what. I think the problem was with very high-mile bikes. It's still a better basket than any other.

Dave

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by piit »

Dave is maybe referring on my post behing the link. I made some notes+pics when fixing my clutch basket hoping that it would help other people in the future...btw. clutch is "rattle" free after the fix after approx. 10000km.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7841

-piit-

mozzie26

Post by mozzie26 »

Thanks for the quick replies. I found your post piit and printed out your attached document, great write up. My clutch basket has the 3 longer springs loose, I will pull apart and shim the springs. Dave thanks for info on the the oil pump chain, I have no wear on the sprockets so guess it is ok.

Regards
Glen.

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by piit »

Good luck for your fix :dance: . Btw. about month ago I opened the clutch and checked the srings, weldings, shims generally all what I have put on document.
All were good!

-piit-

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”