O rings for collars in crankcase halves.

pouchy750
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

O rings for collars in crankcase halves.

Post by pouchy750 »

I'm new to CBX1000's & have acquired a 1979 model with a recently disassembled engine.
I have a Honda work shop manual & parts book which helps a lot, but I would really appreciate some help from the forum on putting the engine back together.
I have an engine rebuild gasket set with all the oil seals etc. but I am unsure which oil seal go where.
I'm putting the crankcases back together & putting 2 new oil seals on the collars that pass oil between the 2 halves. They are just behind the crankshaft.
The seals according to the parts book are 18x3 but they appear too thick. Is this correct? I assume they squish when the 2 crankcase halves are bolted together.
The old seals don't seem to be that thick. Squashed with age?
The other seals in the gasket set appear to be too small & go elsewhere.
Your help would be much appreciated.
Thanks John

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: O rings for collars in crankcase halves.

Post by daves79x »

John:

If you have the genuine Honda gasket set, the O-rings should be correct. You're right, there are only 2 that size and they do seal the oil paths when the cases are together. There should be O-rings for the oil pump passages, oil sprayer to the primary chain, advancer shaft end, crank end cap top screws, sprocket bolt, cam chain front adjuster, clutch cover adjuster cap, tach drive cap, maybe a couple of others. Take your time to sort them out and replace all you can.

Dave

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”