Clutch won't release

Jim
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Clutch won't release

Post by Jim »

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and indeed CBX ownership so it's a great comfort to be able to join such a knowledgeable community of like minded CBX lovers. I'm after some advice if I may in relation to my recently purchased 1979 CBX1000Z.

I bought it as a non runner however I've now got the engine running reasonably OK however I have a more immediate issue with the clutch not disengaging. I've adjusted it as per the instructions in the workshop manual and externally, it seems to work OK in that the handlebar lever is pulling the operating lever on the clutch housing up a reasonable amount and I've looked through the lifter cap and can see the lifter moving in sympathy with the clutch lever being operated however the clutch just doesn't release. If I put the bike in any gear on the stand and pull the clutch in, I can't turn the back wheel by hand and I also tried selecting first with the clutch in and the engine Idling and I simply lurched forward and the bike stalled. I've even over adjusted the clutch cable such that the clutch actuation arm is almost at the limit of it's travel and it made no difference. The clutch obviously rattles at idle and I don't really perceive any reduction in that rattle when I pull the clutch lever in. I was assuming that the rattle should be drastically reduced with the clutch in but may be well wrong on that.

I think the bike was last run about six months or so ago and the clutch was supposedly working at that time. Could the plates simply be stuck together having stood for a while and I just need to remove, clean and replace them (having checked they're serviceable) or is it symptomatic of a bigger problem? I guess I'm going to have to remove the clutch cover and have a look but I just wondered if anyone else had had any experience of this before I do or whether I'm doing anything wrong?

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Jim

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Clutch won't release

Post by NobleHops »

Jim,

Welcome to the site, most sincerely. You are among kindred spirits. Not trying to smack you down one bit, but the site search works really well and this and many other problems/solutions are in the archives if you do a few searches and vary the keywords a bit. Searching on 'clutch stick' turned up this thread, and there are several others:

viewtopic.php?f=105&t=7640&hilit=clutch+stick

But by all means, post and be welcome, I certainly don't want to inhibit your participation, just help guide you faster to a potential solution :-).

Welcome!

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Artie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Artie »

Stuck plates for sure if as you described,I'd recommend you Start engine w bike on center stand click into gear while sitting on bike,with clutch squeezed,tap rear brake in quick jabs,might unstick plates or drive bike after bump start if you can easily access suitable grade,warm motor will fire off and drive with clutch pulled will probably unstick plates for sure good luck

Goss
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Goss »

Hello Jim,

If you can't get the clutch free by using the above method it is a 20 minute job to remove the clutch cover and clutch and inspect the clutch plates. No need to drain down if the bike is on centre stand a half pint of oil will escape or if on side stand very little. I would be tempted to just remove the clutch, separate the plates and check them all to ensure they are all flat and within specification.

Regards

Goss
Onboard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWSsdKtd64
Bike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofjFhEd3

Cammer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Cammer »

Reminds me of the time I replaced my 1979 clutch with a 1981 and forgot about the lengths of the two release rods. Early definitely didn't release like the proper rod. Did exactly mentioned. Had a ton of $$$$ invested in my 1170 motor.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The 'release rods' are identical. What's different is the length of the collar and the use of 2 washers vs one.

Dave

Cammer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Cammer »

Memory fades somewhat with age. It was a super fast hell for strong motor. :text-thankyouyellow:

Cammer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Cammer »

I also bought two blocks from a CB1100F and knocked the liners out and had the bottoms cut off same the height as the CBX and had the tops machined to fit and "O ringed" with copper wire. Pistons were Arias. :sad-roulette:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Cammer wrote:Reminds me of the time I replaced my 1979 clutch with a 1981 and forgot about the lengths of the two release rods. Early definitely didn't release like the proper rod. Did exactly mentioned. Had a ton of $$$$ invested in my 1170 motor.
I also bought two blocks from a CB1100F and knocked the liners out and had the bottoms cut off same the height as the CBX and had the tops machined to fit and "O ringed" with copper wire. Pistons were Arias.
The 70 mm bore of a CB1100F liner installed in a CBX block would result in a 1232cc displacement. An 1170cc CBX motor with the stock stroke of 53.4 mm would have a 68 mm bore.

Cammer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Cammer »

Went from the smaller (1170) to the larger. If some is good, more is better, then too much is just enough. :lol:

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”