Pulsar Shaft Journal

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Pulsar Shaft Journal

Post by CopperCollar »

I have three clutch covers and every one has the pulsar shaft journal gouged.

Can a bearing or bushing be made to fit?

This brings the following questions:

If I had an interference fit bushing made what material should be used and will it stay in place as the clutch cover heats up.

If I use a bearing should it be a roller or needle bearing and once again will it remain in place without engineering in a retainer and will it tolerate the RPM of the pulsar shaft.

Another alternative, build the aluminum up and machine it but that's a tough area to weld in.

Eventually this will have to be addressed as the available parts in good shape dry up.

Any Ideas from the engineers out there?

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Pulsar Shaft Journal

Post by EMS »

Mike:
Shooting from the hip, I would say that the temperatures in the clutch cover will not be high enough to create a problem between different materials if you use an interference fit. A save way to go would be to make an aluminum sleeve, press it in and machine it to exact diameter. If you want to save yourself the effort of machining a bronze bushing will probably do, but I think even steel would work.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

I agree Mike.

I don't have the metal background so I'll contact the machinist I use and see what he can do.

I may be able to get a cover for less than the cost of machine work, he charges $48 an hour.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I'd agree with Mike: Either press-fit an aluminum sleeve or bronze bushing. Use self-lubed bronze if you go that way. (A sealed ball bearing would be nice -- BUT. would require building up material, etc. Expensive; and, a bit risky with the cast stuff of the housing.)

P.S. $48/hr -- the guy's a bargain.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Yeah he is Larry. I try to float work to him when I can.

He also painted the CBX I got from Falldown Phil, $500.....a real deal there to.

Mike

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Me thinks keeping the clutch covers for future repair is the best course of action.

I measured the pulsar O.D. at 15mm. The clutch cover journal does not have much meat to bore out. I might be able to get a 17mm O.D. bushing.

The bushing is not something common so it would have to be machined and thus the labor will exceed the purchase price of a replacement cover for the time being.

Also the cover would have to be set in a jig for proper boring as the journal in all three covers is wallowed out in an oval pattern.

So this project while doable will be shelved until there are no good clutch covers left then it may be cost effective to bore the journal, insert a bushing and ream it to fit the pulsar shaft.

Mike

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”