New Ignition System for CBX

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: New Ignition System for CBX

Post by herdygerdy »

While it is highly unlikely I will ever need to go down this path on my CBX, one element I understand with the CBX is that the end of the shaft onto which the trigger is connected is fixed to the crankshaft position by the Primary Morse-Hyvo toothed chain.

This architecture delivers less accuracy of the spark event occurring in relation to the precise position of the crankshaft. This because the chain allows the primary shaft positio to 'float' slightly in relation to the actual crankshaft position.

This tendency for the spark trigger to 'float' disappears, or at least greatly improves on engines where the trigger mechanism is directly connected to one end of the crankshaft.

Could it be possible to build a small trigger mechanism that somehow picks up the precise position of the crankshaft and so would trigger the spark event(s) more accurately and with greater reliability? Just asking, seeing as we clearly have some very talented folk working on improving our CBX ignition systems...

Cheers..Tony

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Give the way electronics have shrunken the past few years, it would seem possible that a new crank end cap could be made with the trigger inside.

Does any newer car or truck have a distributor? Crank triggers are on everything today.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

NobleHops wrote: How do you like it so far Mouse? Have you played with the programming at all?
Play'ed with the programming? :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rollingyellow:

OH My! I have'nt laughed that hard in a while.

Ah...... no, I don't play with programing.

The unit works well. Easy install, had to fine tune the No#6 cyl TDC setup as I was a little off the first try.
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

C5Paul
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by C5Paul »

We have sold about 20-30 of these ignitions. Just recently we began changing coil designs. I have not installed the new coils in a CBX yet but they are smaller and more powerful.
Here is a picture of the coils.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Paul, as a 'sidebar', what wire size do these coils use? (7mm or 8mm or ??) Not looking to do anything, myself, at the moment. Just for other folks reference. A great 'looking' system. Best 'aftermarket' upgrade I've seen.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

C5Paul

Post by C5Paul »

Larry Zimmer wrote:Paul, as a 'sidebar', what wire size do these coils use? (7mm or 8mm or ??) Not looking to do anything, myself, at the moment. Just for other folks reference. A great 'looking' system. Best 'aftermarket' upgrade I've seen.
We use only Moroso 8mm spiral wound with 800 ohms per foot resistance. The internal size of their 7 and 8mm wire are identical but we order it with 8mm outer diameter.
Any other wire voids warranty unless it has the same electrical specs (and Magna Core is the only one we know of).

Resistor plugs and caps are also recommended (at least one of the two) to avoid EMI damage of the tiny electronics hidden inside.

Thank you for the comment.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”