New Ignition System for CBX

Goss
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: New Ignition System for CBX

Post by Goss »

C5Paul wrote:
Goss wrote:Hello Paul,

Thanks for the reply, I would not need to change curves if running a standard or big bore engine so the picture is not that important at this stage.

I like the kit very much in that it will replace coils, triggers, spark units and advance mechanism for state of the art as well as built in rev limiter. I assume that the spark will be similar to a Dyna but the accuracy and 3 spark technology will out perform the Dyna which appeals to me. Only information that would be useful is the power consumption compared to the Dyna and as Aris mentions can the rev limiter be adjusted?

I understand that a Dyna system needs a relay because of its current consumption, would this be the case with your system?

Regards

Goss

You can put the rev limiter anywhere you want, and it can be different in all 4 curves (use one curve as a "break in" curve for new engines?)

It is difficult to do power consumption comparisons for real world situations but if you send me a Dyna ignition I'd be happy to give it a go.

First lets agree that a Dyna coil and our coil require the same amperage to function (12 volts divided by 3 ohms = 4 amps).
What could allow one design use less power than another?

DWELL

Most ignitions attempt to push dwell as long as possible to give strong upper rpm spark. This typically means dwell of 90-200 degrees depending on which manufacturer you ask. 90 is enough to run a low rpm low compression engine, but is not long enough for Japanese high rpm bikes. You want the most dwell you can so the coil is always full but at low rpm the coil overheats and failure occurs.

I do not know what a Dyna is programmed for, but I know dwell doesn't change much (if any) from idle to wide open.
We have variable dwell based on rpm, so at low rpm the coil is barely on, and at high rpm the coil is on 100 degrees.

All other things being equal your power draw will always be less with a full rpm variable dwell feature.
This is a discussion the average bike owner does not care about, nor is it really a concern (although coil failures are mostly due to excess dwell).

Was that too much info?
Thanks Paul, all questions answered.

When do you think the kits will be available?

Regards

Goss
Onboard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWSsdKtd64
Bike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofjFhEd3

C5Paul
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by C5Paul »

I hope everyone is having a great winter. Here in Wisconsin we just got another 5-6" of snow today but that gives us time to ride snowmobiles.
We have these kits done and have been shipping them all over the world. I'm still not getting email notices so forgive me if i take a long time to reply.
My email is paul@c5ignitions.com so that's the best way to get in touch (or call me).

We are making our new coils right now and might need to update our coil mount. Does anyone have interest in helping us? My friend has a few, but they are tucked away for the winter.

Paul

C5Paul

Post by C5Paul »

We are now using the mini dual fire coils in our CBX ignitions from C5 Performance.

The previous coils were slightly larger with less total voltage available.

I thought some of you might like to see them.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6pK6c ... sp=sharing

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

With the recent work done on ignitions and so-on, and me about to head out to the garage to replace the wiring harness on my black bike, I thought it might be nice to bump this topic.

I did buy one of these systems from Paul Crowe for my CB400F project, gave him a little help with photos and measurements to help him sort out his coil mounts, and a teeny bit of feedback on some minor refinements he could make.

The kit is really well done and Paul's support could not be better. The number he gives for support? His mobile phone. Yes, he walked me through something on a Sat, or was it a Sunday? He is a gentleman.

I don't really have any empirical evidence about how better or worse that bike runs with it as I never ran it before I installed it, but I can say it is quite easy to install and time, although in the 400F one has to temporarily reinstall the stock advancer plate to find TDC or use a dial indicator in the head, then reinstall and index the C5 to TDC by loosening and rotating the perforated plate. Not a big deal. If you're interested in this, you can follow along as I installed mine here:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=131210.275

I can say that my bike fired and ran in about 2 seconds of cranking when I first fired it up, FWIW :-) (Not much)

If I were doing it over I think I'd go this way, given my own thrashings with the Dyna and Aris' recent discovery of timing problems with it. The full Dyna setup from Tim's is $528 (coils and ignition) and the comparable C5 setup is $649, so there is some increased cost associated with the C5, and both will need new coil wires and some wiring.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

I have no experience with the C5, but I can immediately see at least 2 advantages which for me are important:
1. An optical pick up. Where can I start ...
2. An electronic advancer. Ditto ...
There might be many more. Had I not bought my Dyna only a year or so ago, I would't mind trying one ..
Good work Nils, keep us posted.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Kool_Biker wrote:I have no experience with the C5, but I can immediately see at least 2 advantages which for me are important:
1. An optical pick up. Where can I start ...
2. An electronic advancer. Ditto ...
There might be many more. Had I not bought my Dyna only a year or so ago, I would't mind trying one ..
Good work Nils, keep us posted.
Ya and he added an optional interface and software so the wizards of the world could play all day for tuning or high performance or whatever, without the limitations of a mechanical advancer. Really cool system.
Nils Menten

mhutton
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mhutton »

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Tremendous link Martin :teasing-poke: Great content!
Nils Menten

mhutton
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mhutton »

yes, sorry about that. :oops:

martin.

C5Paul

Post by C5Paul »

If I may share a picture, this is our most current coil pack/frame mount. We began using these coils late last year (2013) and have found them to be strong and powerful.
The ignition was also upgraded over the Winter (several improved parts became available) to provide even faster coil trigger speeds, and improved resistance to electrical damage that sometimes plagues classic vehicles. We use only Power Arc ignition components in our ignition kits because I feel they use the best components available, they are easy to talk with if I have a concern or issue, and the electronics are manufactured in Iowa (we live in Wisconsin).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

mhutton wrote:yes, sorry about that. :oops:

martin.
Just joshin' ya brotha :-)
Nils Menten

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Did anyone buy this kit for the CBX?
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

cross wrote:Did anyone buy this kit for the CBX?
I have the C5 ignition system on my CBX. :-)
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Mouse wrote:
cross wrote:Did anyone buy this kit for the CBX?
I have the C5 ignition system on my CBX. :-)

How do you like it so far Mouse? Have you played with the programming at all?
Nils Menten

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

What is your opinion on it, any improvements, ease of installation, etc.

Thanks
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”