One Happy Bunny

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

One Happy Bunny

Post by bikeymikey748 »

I had been anxious to do a little maintenance on the 'X'.
More specifically, I was interested to see how my #3 exhaust valves were doing. When last checked, they were a contributing factor in that cylinder's readings being slightly below all the others, in the course of a leak-down test.
I got the ball rolling with a valve clearance check. Great beginning, not a single shim needed of the twenty-four 8)
On then to the main event, and......they had gotten better :D I had hoped that it would be a matter of them seating more precisely after getting a few miles on the bike. Well sir, that seems to have been the case. I mean, look at the readings on the gauges for cyl.#3.

All the other five cylinders have, very nearly, the same results ( none are below these readings).
Sometimes, things just seem to work out, I suppose :lol:
Looking at the plugs, again, I just might drop a size on my mainjet. There's a 124 in place at the moment. I might put the 122 in and raise my needle a position. Tough call. The plugs are just slightly on the rich side of things, and I have zero fuelling issues, with the possible exception of lacklustre fuel range....hmmmmmm :think:

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: One Happy Bunny

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Half the winter maintenance done and it is only early Dec.?
Your Ducati need some work?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Mike: Good things come to good people! 8)

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Your Ducati need some work?
Actually,Steve-O, the Duc has sat downstairs in my basement workshop since the 'X' got rolling.
I had found that having both the SR 500 and the Duc plated, allowed me to enjoy all types of riding as each brought a particular personality into the mix. Now that the Honda's a mover, I find I don't need two bikes any longer. The 'X' checks all the right boxes 8) The Duc needs new tires, and that's it. I barely rode it since it's last service. I'm hoping to sell it off. Trouble is, what with the high mileage showing on it, it'll likely only go to someone who knows me .
EMS wrote:Mike: Good things come to good people! 8)
Blush Blush :text-thankyouyellow:

Oh and under the heading of,'you get what you pay for', I had endured a slight sweat on the left-hand side of my valve cover gasket for the last half of the season. I had installed the aftermarket gasket & grommets that came in a kit I bought. Though the grommets were such a poor fit that I ended up using a combination of some of them and some of the tired/crusty originals. With predictable results :?
I popped for the OEM items and the jobber parts were, unceremoniously, trash-canned just as soon as I could pry them off the bike. Another lesson (re)learned .
Not surprisingly our motors produce so much heat, that they inflict nasty damage on most rubber parts ( grommets, intake boots, etc.). It's very apparent, as compared to any of the other bikes I've worked on.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”