over flow spills oil on initial start up

korvette kid
New Member & Happy To Be Here

over flow spills oil on initial start up

Post by korvette kid »

Greetings,
On my 82, which I have owned since new, on initial start up I have noticed that there is a small puddle of oil that comes out of the over flow hose. This occurs only on the first start of the day and has been doing this on the last 3 or 4 start ups.The bike is in a good state of tune and has 88,789 miles and runs good at all times, but I am replacing the spilled oil as needed. I share my riding with other bikes and only ride it now about 2-3 times a month. Any thoughts please?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: over flow spills oil on initial start up

Post by daves79x »

Please be more specific as to 'overflow hose'. Can't tell from what you've described where you mean the oil is coming from.

With 88,000 miles, you are surely getting blow-by out the crankcase breather into the stock airbox, if you still have it. Excess then is collected in the white plastic bottle under the battery box and can be drained from there, but you have to remove the plug at the end of the hose to do that. If oil is coming from somewhere else, please describe.

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

After 88,000 miles, check the bottle that Dave mentioned for crack(s). From what I've seen, it has a fair chance of being cracked at the attaching tab. If it isn't being drained, it is quite likely that it is full and leaking through the crack and following the drain hose to the ground (right side under the centerstand). This, then, might appear to be "dripping from the overflow hose".
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

If it turns out you need to replace that drain bottle, I (and a lot of other guys here) would be glad to send you one.

Barry

korvette kid

Post by korvette kid »

My apologies for not being more specific. The stock box is not in use. I have a set of K&N filters with a Kerker 6 into 1 exhaust. I should have stated it as a breather over flow hose that exits just in front of the center stand. I will examine the situation when I return home and will post back with more info.
Thanks so much for the quick response.

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Since you are running K&Ns, has the crankcase breather been extended and routed out behind the center-stand? That would be a hose coming from just above the alternator. The stock layout is a short hose going to the airbox. However, with no airbox, it would have to be a longer hose routed somewhere to 'dump' onto the ground. If that is what you have, not to worry. Just park the bike over some kitty litter in the garage.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

With an engine that has that many miles and noticeable blow-by you may want to fab up a catch can instead of venting it to the ground.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”