Leaking oil: big deal, or small deal?

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Leaking oil: big deal, or small deal?

Post by Syscrush »

This week I had my mechanic look into the oil issues on the bike. It was due for plugs anyhow, so I asked him to read the plugs, do a compression test, and put the borescope into the cyls to see how the engine looks.

The short story is that nothing is really bad, but it's not 100% right, either. The plugs looked OK, so the existing tune is pretty close. But there was a very little bit of carbon buildup on the piston tops, and the valves showed some signs of the engine having been left stationary for a prolonged period (not a surprise for an engine with 20,000km in 13 years). Cyls 2 & 6 ultimately measured the same as the others, but on the first sweep they were ~%50 of the values of the other 4 cyls. The oil is quite black and the level was even lower than I expected - both indicate some blow-by, although not the amount that results in overt blue smoke oil burning.

He found 5 oil leaks and is replacing the relevant washers/gaskets, which my garage floor will appreciate. The engine is probably OK for another season, but I'll probably have it sorted out this winter along with everything else that's planned (all-new suspension front and rear).
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Goss
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Goss »

Hello Phil,

600 miles per litre is not too bad, did your man do a leak down test if so what were the percentages? You could spend a lot of money for not much improvement.

Regards

Goss
Onboard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWSsdKtd64
Bike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofjFhEd3

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Goss wrote:Hello Phil,
600 miles per litre is not too bad, did your man do a leak down test if so what were the percentages? You could spend a lot of money for not much improvement.
As it turns out, it was a lot more than 1L/1000k. More like 1L/400k.

I think we'll take it apart to get it to a known state anyhow.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Syscrush wrote:A little update...

Today after a bit of time on the sidestand, I noticed a drop of oil - on the exhaust on the right hand side. Getting on hands & knees, I found a bit of a film of oil on the case on the right, and on the right side of the swingarm pivot, but it's very hard to tell where it's coming from. There's an oil cooler line nearby, I'll give it a harder look soon.

I'm doing ~500k over the next 2 days, I'll update when I'm back. Thanks again to all who offered advice & pointers.
Phil, sorry to take so long on this one. Regarding the oil on the right side and on the swing arm pivot -- check the little oil drain storage bottle. I know that on the '81/'82s it can crack and leak just about where you are seeing oil on the swing arm pivot. The '80 is a little different. I don't know its exact location; however, I think it is similar. That's the little 'bottle' that catches the condensation 'crap' from the air box. It needs to be drained occasionally. But, if it has cracked, it could be feeding real 'crap' oil onto things.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Thanks Larry. My mechanic said that he found 5 separate leaks. 2 are fixed and the other 3 are waiting on a back-ordered gasket.

He also suspects a bit of blowby in cyls #2 & 6, and maybe some not great valve seals. It appears that the leaking is a small contributor to the oil loss, and consumption/burning is the large contributor.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Syscrush wrote: . 2 are fixed and the other 3 are waiting on a back-ordered gasket.

Phil: Is this 3 leaks will be fixed with one gasket or are there 3 gaskets on back order?

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

EMS wrote:Phil: Is this 3 leaks will be fixed with one gasket or are there 3 gaskets on back order?
The 3 leaks require 3 separate gaskets, but they have to be fixed together - I think it's the countershaft seal plus 2 other things in the same location. One of the gaskets/seals is on backorder.

I really don't know the details - they were shorthanded and super busy going into a long weekend when I went to pick it up, and they told me to call back in Nov about the backordered gaskets. I'll get the whole story then and also have a chat with them about taking care of the internals this winter.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Let us know, if the backordered gasket becomes a problem. I have a stash of gaskets and may be able to help if one is NLA.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

EMS wrote:Let us know, if the backordered gasket becomes a problem. I have a stash of gaskets and may be able to help if one is NLA.
You're a maniac. Thanks so much - I'll let you know either way.

Do you ever go to Vintage Days at Mid Ohio? I've always wanted to go. If you want to meet up there next year, I'll bring the beers. :)
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Syscrush wrote: Do you ever go to Vintage Days at Mid Ohio? I've always wanted to go. If you want to meet up there next year, I'll bring the beers. :)

:D :D It's only an hour away from me and I have been a regular at that event since 1995, the first year they had it at Mid-Ohio. I am sure I'll be there next year. 8)

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Syscrush wrote:
EMS wrote:Let us know, if the backordered gasket becomes a problem. I have a stash of gaskets and may be able to help if one is NLA.
You're a maniac. Thanks so much - I'll let you know either way.

Do you ever go to Vintage Days at Mid Ohio? I've always wanted to go. If you want to meet up there next year, I'll bring the beers. :)
It's been the largest ICOA gathering of the year for some time now, it's a great opportunity to put some faces to names and see some very cool bikes. Do a search on the forum for past Mid-Ohio rallies, maybe it will motivate you to come next year.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I would love to do it. It's a bit early now to make plans, but I'll definitely come if I can. I'm considering a cross-country trip with a buddy who has a nice GS1100, maybe we can make Mid-Ohio a stop on the way out or the way back.

I'm stoked about this despite the fact that I get rained on in a serious way every time I come to Mid-Ohio!
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Before going nuts with an engine rebuild, my mechanic wanted to do a leakdown test, and he said that the #'s looked very good. So he doesn't want to open the motor up just yet. For now we're going to proceed with replacing the remaining seals, and get it on a dyno to try to assess the engine health.

I'm of two minds about it. On one hand, it's not like I'm eager to sink $2-3k into an engine that I thought was supposed to be fresh. But on the other hand, I don't want another year of screwing around with it and worrying all the time about my oil level.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Phil, a few comments regarding the oil consumption. My '82, with 40 something on it, gets between 600 - 700 to the quart. Probably 600 on the highway. Runs good; goes where ever U want it to go. 40mpg. Likely could use some new valve guide seals. But, then, oil is cheap. And, you likely won't get a mega improvement. Air-cooled engines can't compare to water-cooled. Just as a reference, do you know what your friend gets with his GS?

Would be great to see/meet you next Summer at VMD (mid-Ohio).
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Larry Zimmer wrote:
Would be great to see/meet you next Summer at VMD (mid-Ohio).
Or this weekend, in Cleveland. :-)
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”