need advice on flipping engine over -vent tube

beedub
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

need advice on flipping engine over -vent tube

Post by beedub »

the crankcase vent tube over the Alternator - does this come out?

I see that it might be glued in but don't want to break it. It would be nice to have it off before turning the motor upside down.

somebody please advise? I have tried tapping it gently with a soft block of wood after very gentle heat. :?
Big and small, I like them all....bikes that is...

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Vent Tube Removal

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

Yes, it comes out. It is epoxied in place. I usually heat it a little with a propane torch. I then put a small 1/4 inch deep socket (8mm I think) on a long extension and tap it out of the case.

I have had good luck getting them out. Use the biggest socket that will fit into the vent tube in an effort to distribute the force across the surface, this should keep it from breaking.

Do not use a screwdriver, punch or other pointy object, if will break the vent tube.

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

More Thoughts on Destroying the vent tube....

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

It is not sold by Honda and does not have a part number ( at least not on the parts finche).

Also, it might be better to get it started moving by placing a wooden block on the tapered end and striking the block with the hammer. Once it starts to move, you can then use the socket. I have done it both ways.

Also the amount of heat is just enough that you see the epoxy charr/burn otherwise, it will still be glued into the case.

Good Luck!!!!

beedub
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

vent tube - i flipped the motor with it on

Post by beedub »

I tried to heat it but not enough I see now. Rather than risk breaking it, I made a wooden cradle of 2x2 pine and fastened it to the motor with tyraps (nylon cable ties). It protected the tube. Nervously tipped it upright and then over, and added some more blocks for stability. Whew! :) got it!

thanks

brian
Big and small, I like them all....bikes that is...

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”