Fitting ?

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Fitting ?

Post by bikeymikey748 »

I'm thinking of mounting an oil pressure gauge, but don't like the traditional placement of them on the R.H. gallery plug. It just looks to be too damned vulnerable...have you seen my, tiny, garage :o
I'm also not fond of the small diameter hoses that plumb into the oil pressure switch fitting.
I fabbed an adaptor to allow the use of a braided line, I had lying around. This opens many more possibilities for gauge mounting . Here's a shot of the bits;

I'd like to plumb into the oil fed line, to the head, from the upper case. Problem is, Honda uses a special bolt to attach the line. It looks like a restrictor of some sort is integral with it. The photo below shows the special Honda bolt, on the left, and the longer one I need to use on the right;

I've a few questions: What's the purpose of the 'restrictor'? If Honda wanted to regulate how much oil was sent to the head & crank, why not just bore the center of the bolt to the appropriate diameter? Why have the, small alloy, section hanging down below the bolt? If I use the double banjo bolt do I need to install the 'restrictor into it? Would I risk head/crank damage in compromising the orifice(s)?
If I install the 'restrictor' onto the double banjo bolt can I expect the gauge to give an accurate pressure reading for crank pressure? It won't read lower, owing to the 'restrictor' ?
Thanks, lads, in advance for any insights you might provide.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”