Valve spring compression tool

Write2Paul90277

Valve spring compression tool

Post by Write2Paul90277 »

Hi --

I'm looking to buy, rent or borrow a valve spring compression tool for my 1980 Honda CBX 1000. I have heard that the "universal" spring tools can cause expensive damage to the CBX.

Any leads?

Paul Wilcox

Redondo Beach, California, USA

'80 CBX1000A :arrow:

beedub
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

out with a socket, in with the tool.

Post by beedub »

taking vales out - this is not nice but actually worked OK.

I took the head to some bike friends that have an import auto shop. They showed me how to tape up a deep socket (electrical tape) to prevent scratching. They supported the valve so it didn't come out and bend (a rag folded over underneath for firm support) and hit the socket on the top of the valve spring sharply but not really hard. I raised my eyebrows on this but they have done it a zillion times without harm on many expensive engines. The colletts just pop out and the valve is free. It worked fine and I did the rest of them.

A compressor would be much politer. I too will have to find, make or get one for assembly someday.

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Removing Valves

Post by Mike Nixon »

No -- do NOT remove valves by banging on a socket. The stems are frequently damaged. that way. Besides, you still need a spring compressor to reinstall them. The Honda one is universal, but there is a special tool that fits down into the lifter bore to shield the walls of the bore from scratches that would otherwise be made by the tool.

removing valves

Post by Guest »

I actually agree with you Mike; this is a bad idea unless you don't care about risking the valves being damaged. I didn't.

Jim-Jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Jim-Jim »

Mike,

Do you have a P/N or Source for that special tool to remove valves on the CBX? Would make a nice addition to my tool box for the future. :D

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Valve Spring Removal

Post by Mike Nixon »

Not to belabor the point, but in the best shops, a tech who removes valves that way is sent packing. :D

The special tool (page 6-12 of 81/82 manual) is part number 07999-4220000, though I am sure a suitably sized thin-wall sleeve of metal or similar material would work well (all the tool is, is a sleeve with a lip to prevent its falling into the spring hole).

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”