T-Fitting for Oil Sender

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: T-Fitting for Oil Sender

Post by EMS »

A little more light on the issue:

Our engineering department confirmed, that conical NPT pipe threads are what is commonly used in Europe and they are according to the U.S. standard. No metric threads.
There is, however, a conical metric male fitting thread according to DIN 158.

I will do some investigation on a CBX pressure sending unit to find out what excatly the thread is.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Sorry for not getting back to this sooner, one of my parts orders was waylaid.
So...Turns out that the Honda fittings are slightly undersized to 1/8 NPT bits, same thread pitch however. I know this because the set-up I'm going with required a 1/8NPT-4AN adaptor to thread into the, stock, oil pressure switch opening. The Honda o/p switch threaded easily into a female 1/8NPT t-fitting, if a little deep. But, the mentioned adaptor required a 1/8NPT tap to be passed before the threads would go in to an,acceptable, depth.
The photo below shows the brass t-fitting, original o/p switch, modded steel strap (at left), and thicker strap (upper) I put into service. I suppose steel t-fittings are available, but brass is what I had so... I modded the, thinner, strap to clasp the t-fitting and added some,solid core solder, to bond the two together. I had brazed a section of the, thicker, strap (that had been tapped for a 6x1mm. thread) into position on the thin section before it was crimped/soldered onto the t-fitting.

The next shot is of the finished t-fitting, with AN fittings attached, the braided hoses, and the gauge/mount assembly. I modded some alloy bar stock to accept an AN fitting + the gauge ( they both thread into the part ), the bar was then threaded & cut in such a way that it mounts easily to my LH t-signal post. The neat thing is that the lines are available in different lengths. You could mount the gauge pretty much anyplace you prefer. As mentioned, I felt the typical mount for the o/p gauge was just too exposed .

Here are some shots of the bits mounted up. The t-fitting mounts with a, slightly, longer bolt through the rear coil mount. The,braided, hose fits to an adaptor in the original o/p switch placement, and continues on up to the t-fitting. The t-fitting is good in that it allows retention of the original o/p switch/'idiot' light in the dash, as well as discreet placement of the switch and associated hoses/fittings.

preston
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by preston »

For over 40 years I have used 1/8thNPT fittings on Honda engines ( using the proper sealant) with no leaks and have been able to revert to OEM ( with the proper sealant) with no leaks.

preston
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by preston »

Very cool location for the guage

Des Brown
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Des Brown »

This is what I have done with no problem ,I just had to grind a small bit of the bottom fin off.
Des

WARP FACTOR 6 MR SULU

Artie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Artie »

Des Brown wrote:This is what I have done with no problem ,I just had to grind a small bit of the bottom fin off.
Des

Where can you buy this chrome or stainless fitting ?
Is it a street tee with a nipple? Can't see clearly,want to put inboard don't like it hanging off motor very vulnerable,
Need 1/8 NPT street tee for OEM oil light,then nipple to outboard to left buy about 2"then elbow up to gauge
Please enlighten

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”