The Basket Kit 2- pitted cylinder solution?, case splitting?

beedub
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

The Basket Kit 2- pitted cylinder solution?, case splitting?

Post by beedub »

So far with the Basket Kit-1, the head is fine, can be redone nicely. All valves out and in good condition.

Soaked the pistons & cylinder, cleaned off lotsa soft carbon tried to remove barrels- no go- Sprayed penetrant overnight then deadblow hits worked & I slowly remove barrels.

Oh-Oh.

Some clod left it sitting with the head off and # 5 got some moisture. Pitting of upper 1/2" and around rings. Not really deep. Pistons are very good though with little wear on the skirts, and the other cylinder wear is really slight! I can hardly feel the ridge at the top even.

What to do?

1. Get a good used good barrel?

2. Change the sleeve?

3. New 10 thou over piston in #5?

4. The $$ overbore kit - not in my $ plan.

How hard is it to have the sleeve replaced? I asked at an experienced older machine auto shop, they didn't think anyone here could do it readily. (but I'm sure someone can) and they had a good suggestion - hone the slightly pitted cylinder over and install a .010" over piston after weighing it and matching the weight to the others. sounds like a good one to me. the other bores are A1.

the next step: splitting the case or not - Can I retrieve the crap I can see down at the bottom of #4, 5? I think not with any assurance of getting it all so split I must. Any suggestions/cautions - (I have the manual) the starter and clutch are still intact.

thanks everyone

still thinking

brian weir

Dave Hansen
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Dave Hansen »

I think your best bet is to either go with a first over bore or the big bore kit. Do all six cylinders. Your this far into it you might as well have nice fresh bores on every cylinder. I think in the long run it will be money well spent

beedub
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

pitted cylinder solution - install sleeve

Post by beedub »

A fellow member was kind enough to send me a stock bore sleeve.

It was amazingly easy to change with just running very hot water over the finnned cylinder then tapping it out. Some of the other sleeves loosened up too. On I go!

thank you Marc!
Big and small, I like them all....bikes that is...

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”