sloppy shift lever

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

sloppy shift lever

Post by kbart1 »

hey guys

on my '81 cbx my shift lever is a little sloppy on its mount. i would really like a nice solid, positive feel to the lever. i am thinking about taking the pieces to a machine shop and having a bushing turned to take up the slop. am i on the right track here? is there a better way to correct this?

also, finished adjusting my valve shims. it really wasn't that difficult with some help turning the crank while i worked the tools. also had my valve cover ceramic coated and it's all back together now. i would include a pic but how many ceramic coated valve covers can we look at? :-)

thanks!
kent

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: sloppy shift lever

Post by Kool_Biker »

Hi Kent
Here's something to consider.
a27591-1-1.jpeg

http://www.sixcenter.nl/onderdelen/deta ... 91&start=1

Regards, Aris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

And the heim joints are available through McMaster Carr, I have some somewhere, I'll try to find the part#

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

Kool_Biker wrote:Hi Kent
a27591-1-1.jpeg

Regards, Aris
I installed this kit. Worked great for me. Tightened things up nicely.
/r
Brad

kbart1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by kbart1 »

thanks a lot guys. i WAS going to go to a machinist to have these made up and i bet it would have cost me a small fortune. this looks EXACTLY like what i need. i have e-mailed 6centre just to be sure the kit will work on ALL cbx's as mine is the '81 prolink model. i THINK all the shifter set-ups should be the same but want to be sure. brad, did you put the kit on a prolink? they also have a more complete kit which includes the heim joints as well.

kent

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Hello!

I had to (out of necessity) rebuild my broken 900F shifter (the same as the CBX but different). I posted a thread on the 1100F site about it, so copy / paste and here it is. If you aren't a member there the links won't work. Enjoy!

Steve

So the heim joints on on the shifter of my 900F were worn. I knew it, and have been searching around here, learning about parts and how to rebuild it. I was hesitant to tear it apart, because without it the F would be out of commission. Can't let that happen.

I had researched the joints by reading these threads:

http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?name ... sc&start=0

and

http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?name ... highlight=

I ordered the joints from McMaster Carr and then they sat around while I procrastinated. These are the joints needed (many thanks to Genesound for providing the part #'s):

6275K53 Metric Heavy Duty Ball Joint Linkage, M6 X 1 Rh Thread Male Stud W/Rh Thrd Female Shank
6275K63 Metric Heavy Duty Ball Joint Linkage, M6 X 1 Rh Thread Male Stud W/Lh Thrd Female Shank

Also needed are two 6mm locknuts to attach the joints to the shifter and shift shaft arm.

So anyway, I was forced to shit or get off the pot. So I shit. And now I have a nice, tight, functioning shifter on my 900F again. A few pics about how it went:

The worn out shifter:

This is where my balls got big. I dimpled the rivetted side of the shift shaft arm. I didn't know how far the joint shaft was riveted into the arm, so I started drilling small and got progressively bigger. By the time I got to the 1/4" drill bit I could seperate the arm from the joint shaft:

Dimpled:

Started drilling small and went big:

At this point (1/4" bit), the arm was loose on the shaft and I could wiggle the two apart.

When I went to do the the shifter lever itself, I simply dimpled the rivet side and went straight with the 1/4" bit.

So now the shifter is torn totally apart. Lets see if it goes back together with the new joints. The joints have longer arms than the stock joints do, so I followed Genesound's train of thought and cut the end off the joint arm and used it as a lock nut. Another option would be a shorter adjusting shaft to connect the two joints, but not for me today!!

One of the new heim joints:

Trimming the "locknut" off the joint:

And ready to reassemble:

The finished product, ready for installation:

The last issue to deal with was the shift lever arm was sloppy loose on the pivot. I don't know what Honda had originally there, but I needed some type of sleeve or insert to take up the play. I ended up using aluminum flashing, cut as wide as the pivot, and then rolled tight. I held the roll on the pivot arm and slipped the lever over it. Some lube forced into it and my shifter is back in the game!!!!

The flashing roll:

And back on the bike:

Hope it helps!!

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

cbx6ss wrote:
a27591-1-1.jpeg

Regards, Aris
I installed this kit. Worked great for me. Tightened things up nicely.
/r
Brad
Brad,

Are these brass inserts are made with the same ID as the original steel inserts, or something slightly smaller?
Were your original steel inserts worn?

What was the condition of your pivot bolt? The pivot bolt looks like it suffers the wear in this design, at least if mine is any indication. And they are NLA from Honda.

Steve, Thanks for the info on the details of the linkage rebuild.

Barry

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

Kent,
I believe the inserts are the same as the originals. Yes, my pivot bolt did show some wear, but i used it on the rebuild. Much better than it was.
/r
Brad

johnod
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by johnod »

a27591-1-1.jpeg

Regards, Aris

Anyone know if there is a US dealer for this kit?

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”